New OPD drug unit charges 9 in Oxford

Caroline Briggs

The Oxford Police Department (OPD) announced the arrest of seven Miami University students last week in a new effort to curb drug use within the city.

Several search warrants were carried out last week from information given to OPD's new Directed Patrol Unit, which was formed in the beginning of February. The officers on this department initiate investigations of subjects suspected for drugs.

Sgt. Jim Squance of the OPD said the unit has confiscated almost a pound of marijuana, $3,500 in cash, 30 Adderall pills and numerous paraphernalia devices such as pipes and straws after an unnamed number of warrants carried out last week. Squance was reluctant to give further information on the unannounced arrests as officers in the unit are still following leads that could lead to further arrests in Oxford.

"The unit is working with Butler County Sheriff officers to make this a safe community," Squance said. "(OPD is) trying to focus on the illegal use of drugs and alcohol. More arrests are imminent by our investigative unit."

A media release Friday announced the results of just three searches carried out last week, producing nine individuals charged, including the seven Miami students.

Squance stated Monday that more arrests were made, but the Directed Patrol Unit was not finished on leads to release other police reports.

Miami first-year Alyssa Shulman and senior Scott Stein received multiple charges Feb. 7 at almost 3 p.m. for drug possession and paraphernalia after two residences were searched by OPD and various paraphernalia items were found.

Squance said that Shulman and Stein caught OPD's attention when maintenance at Candlewood Apartments provided information on their vacated apartment Feb. 1. Shulman and Stein had recently moved from the complex because they owned a prohibited cat, according to Squance.

The reports state that drugs and paraphernalia were found in the Candlewood Apartment and Shulman and Stein's new residence on Arrowhead Drive after the searches were carried out.

The Directed Patrol Unit also carried out searches at Hawks Landing at around midnight Thursday finding paraphernalia, marijuana and prescription drugs. Senior William Banks was charged with trafficking of marijuana and possession of a schedule two drug. Junior Justin Perun was also charged with possession of a schedule two drug. Junior William C. Ford and sophomore Albert Chambers were both charged with possession and paraphernalia for marijuana. Squance said a schedule two drug can be a prescription drug like Adderall, and a person must have the prescription to legally possess it.

A search carried out at 813 S. Beech St. ended in several charges for senior Mindy Truitt and Oxford residents Weldon Stone and Matt Combs. Truitt was charged with possession of cocaine, Adderall and marijuana as well as drug paraphernalia. Combs and Stone were both charged with possession of cocaine and marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

Squance said the warrant served at South Beech was within proximity to Talawanda High School on Chestnut Street. Squance also said that the initiative for the Directed Patrol Unit are concerned with substance abuse by both Miami students and high school students alike.

"The police and schools are working together to combat the abuse of both alcohol and drugs in this community," Squance said. "(This initiative) is directed at people who use, buy and sell drugs."

Dan Urra is the director of the Coalition for a Healthy Community in Oxford, and he works with substance awareness at Miami's Student Health Services Center. He said Oxford police should be applauded for their recent work of enforcing current laws and protecting the youth of the community.

"We know that (drugs) have an impact on students' ability to succeed," Urra said.

Urra said the coalition is a collaborative effort in Oxford by the school systems, police force, business and community members to examine the current issues facing Oxford. He said a large topic is the factor of substance abuse in the city limits.

"There are drawing concerns over the expanding drug trade," Urra said. "(Drugs are) influencing young minds and it's destroying academic careers."