New Ohio law requires Miami to accept AP scores of 3

Matt Stymacks

The state of Ohio is now requiring that all state-subsidized schools, including Miami University, accept Advanced Placement (AP) test scores of three, beginning with the class of 2013.

Miami previously only accepted scores of four or five, but can now expect to award credit for about 1,300 more AP exams than before.

"The state felt (it) needed to step in and say that all state institutions will do the same thing, and three became the medium number," Miami Associate Registrar Carol Jones said.

Jones explained that the decision concerning AP scores will also make the transition easier for incoming transfer students as well.

"Students who transfer in and amongst state institutions should receive the same credit for wherever they're going," Jones said.

Jones said that the university is still allowed to recommend that students with a score lower than four re-take the course to make sure that they have the correct skills for a particular major.

In particular, Jones said the policy will allow roughly 400 additional students to opt out of English 111.

Concerning the English department's scheduling, Director of College Composition John Tassoni said the English department would respond to the policy change by offering more sections of English 112 in the fall to account for the estimated 20 sections of 111 that would no longer be necessary.

"English 111 has a heavy rhetorical emphasis and is a really good preparation for writing across the disciplines," Tassoni said. "We are looking for a revision of 112 that would take this into account since some (students) would be starting there."

Some departments, however, will be less affected by the new rule. Political Science Department Chair Ryan Barilleaux said that AP American Government scores of three will be accepted for the department's 101-level course, but not for its 241 American Political System course, a requirement for all political science majors.

"We think it is important to take 241 to be prepared for political science courses at the college level," Barilleaux said.

Sophomore Kevin Sakofs thinks the state is moving in the right direction by accepting scores of three.

"This is going to allow students to skip classes that they don't think they need," he said.

Sakofs added that accepting scores of three will be a better use of the university's resources.

"Miami will be able to focus on providing students with classes that better suit their needs and interests," Sakofs said.

Junior John Crowley disagreed, pointing out that lowering expectations for incoming first-years lowers the standard for the school.

"If someone is coming from another school that has its own standards, but Miami has a different set of standards, there is no way of seeing if they will be able to live up to it," Crowley said.

Jones does not think the change will create any problems with competitiveness at Miami.

"We'll see a move of resources, such as the sections of English that will not have to be taught, but our students are still Miami students and they will still be achieving because that is who we are at Miami," Jones said.