New chief to join Oxford Firehouse

Lauren Doyal

After a nine-year run as full-time assistant fire chief of Liberty Township, John Detherage has resigned from his position and is joining the Oxford Fire Department (OFD).

Detherage will join the Oxford force as assistant fire chief, until taking over for current the fire chief, Len Endress, when he resigns from the job in May.

Endress said that he is optimistic about the assets Detherage will bring to the Oxford Firehouse.

"He has all of the qualities and the experience we were looking for when we advertised the position," Endress said. "We're very confident that he will do an excellent job here." Detherage, who was unavailable for comment, will be part of a gradual process of changes until he assumes Endress's position.

According to Endress, Oxford is unique because it is almost entirely staffed by on-call volunteer firefighters. However, in next year's proposed budget, the department hopes to make the transition from a strictly volunteer staff to hiring several part-time firefighters.

"We have been very fortunate that we've had a number of Miami students volunteering year round," Endress said.

This number, however, is steadily declining as Monday through Friday availabilities dwindle, as a result of classes and other part-time jobs, according to Endress.

Vice Mayor Prue Dana said having a part-time force would result in a more capable staff within the fire department.

"The volunteer fire people have been just excellent and have been to all of our emergency situations in just minutes," Dana said. "But the demand on volunteers is getting to be too much for volunteers."

In addition to new staffing, the department plans on upgrading their EMS capabilities. After completing a 140-hour training session, technicians will be able to administer up to 12 new medications that previously required execution by a licensed paramedic.

Oxford Mayor Jerome Conley said he is one of many who will be sad to see Endress retire.

"Len has done a great job," Conley said. "We will truly miss his service to the town."

Endress began his firefighting career in January 1970 as a volunteer at the station in Oxford. By 1972, he was promoted to assistant fire chief and advanced to head chief just four years later in 1976.

Reflecting on the staff of the OFD, Endress said the members are the fabric of the department.

"It truly is the members that make or break the department," Endress said.