New bar replaces Smokin’ Ox

By Sarah Mobsy, For The Miami Student

A new bar just opened to a limited audience in Uptown Oxford at the former home of Smokin' Ox. The Corner Grill and Drinkery, owned by Ted Wood, opened its doors Friday, March 13.

Wood, who also owns O'Pub, The Wood's, Pachinko's and Side Bar, bought out Smokin' Ox last May and began renovations in September, after the restaurant officially closed.

According to Alan Kyger, the director of economic development in Oxford, the Smokin' Ox had a food and full liquor permit. Corner Grill and Drinkery also has a food and full liquor permit so Oxford's liquor permits will not be increasing with the creation of this bar.

The Corner Grill and Drinkery is a private business. The City of Oxford is not involved in private business operations other than public safety inspections.

The Corner Bar is a unique entertainment venue with an assortment of menu items, including gourmet grilled cheeses, burgers, hot dogs, several appetizers, as well as many health-conscious items. The prices will be comparable to other Uptown restaurants.

It spans two stories, including a basement with a small game room, complete with a pool table and dartboards.

"Hours have not been firmly established, as we are waiting on feedback from patrons and the community at large," said James Wenstrup, the manager. "But, we hope to be open and serving food beginning at lunch time, and stay open until standard bar close at 2 a.m. nightly."

Two Greek organizations were the first-time private event holders. Delta Zeta rented it out on Friday, March 13 - its opening night - for a Mom's Weekend event.

Caroline Caruso, a first-year in Delta Zeta, attended the event and had a positive experience.

"I was impressed with the venue, as well as the service," Caruso said. "They didn't serve food, but they did serve drinks and it looked like business was great. I bet this bar will be really successful."

The Corner Grill and Drinkery's official grand opening is still in the works. The staff is adamant they want to make sure everything is right before they are fully open to the public.