Mumps case confirmed at Miami

By Maggie Callaghan, Senior Staff Writer

The university has confirmed a student infected with the mumps, according to an announcement posted last Friday, April 22 on the myMiami page.

The infected student is a member of Chick Evans Scholars and lives inside their most recently constructed house. Blake Ryan, the president of Evans Scholars, explained that all members are taking precautionary measures.

"Our house is taking safety measures to ensure that everyone is vaccinated," said Ryan. "The last thing our house wants is for more people to get mumps so we have sterilized every bit of our house and hope to be safe from it."

According the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, mumps is a contagious virus that is spread through saliva or mucus when the infected person coughs or sneezes. The virus can also be spread through face-to-face conversation. The most common symptoms include fever, headaches and muscle aches. Symptoms typically last a week.

Miami requires all new students to provide proof of immunization for MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) as well as parent's medical records before they arrive on campus. However, according to the CDC, vaccination does not mean someone is completed protected. Two doses of the vaccination are only 88 percent effective against contracting the virus.

It is unclear whether this student was vaccinated.

The announcement made by Miami explained that medical providers may suggest to students, who may come in contact with possible affected individual, to get a third dose.

"The 3rd dose will not protect from a recent exposure but would protect a person with any new or future or exposure," according to the announcement.

This is the second public viral outbreak on Miami's campus this semester. Earlier this semester, norovirus, a contagious virus memorable for its gastrointestinal symptoms, spread across campus.

Claire Wagner, director of the News and Public Information Office, who published the announcement the MyMiami page, hopes that making students aware will hinder any further spread of the mumps.

"Sharing information on myMiami and elsewhere about not sharing drinks, washing hands, etc., is key to preventing spread of disease," said Wagner.