MU says 240 sophomores must live off-campus next year

By Grace Moody, The Miami Student

Rising sophomores will have the option to live in off-campus apartments during the 2017-18 school year, according to temporary housing measures put in place by the office of Housing Options, Meals and Events (HOME).

240 beds within the Hawks Landing and The Commons apartment complexes will be available for these students. Though their location is off-campus, these communities will still be staffed by resident assistants and resident directors, like traditional on-campus housing. Residents of these communities will also be required to purchase a meal plan, likely at a reduced cost, said Brian Woodruff, director of the HOME office.

This temporary housing was created in response in a shortage of beds due to renovations planned for Scott and Minnich halls.

First-year MacKallie Householder said she likes living in a residence hall because she is closer to her classes. In an apartment, she said, it is not beneficial that she will still be paying the same price as she does this year.

"You're going to be farther away but still paying just as much as if you were in the center of campus," Householder said.

Householder, however, said she likes having more housing options. She said many of her friends at other colleges are able to live off campus their sophomore year.

"It's nice to have options," Householder said. "From that aspect the policy is beneficial."

Householder's roommate, sophomore Leigha Raess, said she has enjoyed the residence hall setting.

"I feel like living on campus has been a good thing for my sophomore year just because I'm closer to classes and everything is figured out for me," Raess said.

Similarly, Householder said she feels comfortable in the residence hall setting.

"I'm not necessarily gung ho about it because the only thing about living in a dorm for two years is you kind of know what you're doing more," Householder said. "So it would be like trying something all new again."

While the policy will not apply to Raess, as she will be a junior next year, she said the option for sophomores to live in off-campus apartments next year might be appealing to some students.

"It's a good option for people who maybe don't enjoy the dorm setting," Raess said.