MU reaches out to elementary students for geography week

Hannah Poturalski

This week is Miami University's first Geography Awareness Week and the department of geography is reaching out to local schoolchildren and partnering with nonprofit organizations to celebrate. In past years, the department of geography has only recognized Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Day, but this year's week is an expansion on that internationally recognized day, which falls this Wednesday.

Tuesday through Thursday more than 300 third to fifth grade students will be visiting the Oxford campus from Hamilton and Cincinnati public schools to learn geographical skills and the countries of Africa.

Miami is also partnering with the non-profit organization Caching Our World to create activities throughout the week, titled "Africa in 3D: Discovery, Diversity, Demographics."

Rose Haverkos, director of Caching Our World Corporation, approached the department of geography at Miami to see if it would be interested in joining her Geography Awareness Week programs. She wanted to tie the events in with a university to give the children that experience. There are plans for this to become a yearly practice, rotating between all three Miami campuses.

According to Robbyn Abbitt, Miami's GIS coordinator, National Geographic started Geography Awareness Week. It is always the third week in November and is recognized internationally.

"Geography is more than a location and name," Abbitt said. "It is tied to all aspects of the region, including culture, history and economics."

Tuesday the students will be in King Library where they will be learning about the directions of a compass by completing a treasure hunt. The basement of King will be transformed into a compass and the children will have to follow coordinates in order to get to the next clue. Wednesday and Thursday the children will be throughout Shideler Hall.

According to Abbitt, the students will also complete activities using Google Earth. They will be given a series of clues and have to figure out which region is being mentioned. The Oxford Gourd and Drum Ensemble will also be putting on a show for the students, connecting to the region of South Africa. The children will also be making African tribal masks.

Graduate student Kioko Ireri, originally from Kenya, explained the importance of African tribal masks.

"Tribal masks are artifacts playing an important role in tracing cultural and historical backgrounds of African people," Ireri said.

According to Ireri, the masks are very important for future generations in order to understand the cultural aspect of the geography.

"The masks are a representation of different and important aspects of African history, either socially, economically or politically," Ireri said.

Tuesday and Thursday, Wings of Wonder bird show from the Cincinnati Zoo will be in Oxford for entertainment. Also nationally noted storyteller from Oxford United Methodist Church, Pastor Fred Shaw, will be telling the children stories this Wednesday.

More than 30 Miami faculty, staff and students are volunteering to help during these days.

"The volunteers will help the teachers keep their kids on task and move them from station to station," Abbitt said.

Along with the Miami department of geography, Miami University Libraries and Caching Our World Corporation, there are a number of other sponsors and publishers. Jungle Jims, McGraw-Hill Higher Education, Cengage Learning, Wiley Higher Education, Rand McNally and Pearson Prentice Hall are making it possible to supply each student with a world atlas.

According to the press release, there is also an open house and silent auction 6-8 p.m., Friday in the Octagon Room of the lower level of Alexander Dining Hall on Western Campus. On display there will be professional maps, city and municipal maps and the maps that the grade school students will make. There will also be pictures exhibited and food available. Proceeds from the silent auction allow for activities to be free to the public.