MU picks up series split

Freshman forward Tyler Biggs celebrates Miami University’s sixth goal during their shutout win Saturday night against  Northern Michigan University. The win keeps the ’Hawks tied for second place in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association.
Freshman forward Tyler Biggs celebrates Miami University’s sixth goal during their shutout win Saturday night against Northern Michigan University. The win keeps the ’Hawks tied for second place in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association.

Tom Downey, For The Miami Student

Freshman forward Tyler Biggs celebrates Miami University’s sixth goal during their shutout win Saturday night against Northern Michigan University. The win keeps the ’Hawks tied for second place in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association. (BLAKE WILSON | The Miami Student)

The No.17 Miami University (MU) RedHawks split their series with No. 19 Northern Michigan University (NMU) over the weekend.

The Red and White lost the first game 2-1, despite outshooting the Wildcats 41-13 and committing zero penalties for the first time since 1997.

The team rebounded Saturday with a 6-0 victory in the second game, fueled in part by a four-goal third period.  

The RedHawks allowed a season low 13 shots in the first game but were unable to capitalize as only freshman forward Blake Coleman managed to score.

Senior goalie Cody Reichard started the second game and earned his first victory since Nov. 26 when Miami defeated the University of Denver 4-2.

Reichard stopped all 16 shots he faced and earned his 12th career shutout, which ties Miami's record for the shutouts in a career.  

"It's a pretty big honor with a lot of the guys that have played here before me, and I wouldn't have gotten any of [the shutouts] without the guys in front of me," Reichard said. "Every one of [the shutouts] that I have gotten has been part of the team, so credit to those guys."

Junior forward Reilly Smith had an assist and a goal in the second game, his eighth and 19th of the year, respectively.  The assist also marked Smith's 100th career point, making him the 47th player in school history to reach the mark. He also accomplished this feat in only 107 games.

After not scoring since the first game of the year, freshman forward Alex Wideman scored not once but twice in the second game. It is his first career multi-goal game and also the first time he has recorded a game winner. Senior defensemen Chris Wideman assisted on his brother Alex's second goal.

"It has been a while," Alex Wideman said. "I'm just glad I was able to chip in and help the team."

The RedHawks have struggled for most of the year on the power play, as they were 14-for-107 entering the second game.

However, the team scored twice on the power play as both Alex Wideman and Smith scored. It is the first time since Nov. 25 against Providence College that the team has scored twice on power plays in the same game. MU also killed all five NMU power play chances.

The second period of the final game ended with a skirmish, which saw freshman forward Tyler Biggs and junior forward Curtis McKenzie receive two minute minor penalties, while Northern Michigan would be assessed three penalties.

The Red and White came out hot in the third period, as they scored four times, two of which came against NMU's senior backup goalie Reid Ellingson. In addition to Smith and Wideman's goals in the period, Biggs and senior forward Patrick Tiesling also scored.

The six goals ties a season high for most goals in a game while the six goal margin of victory is the highest the 'Hawks have had all year.

Coleman now has a career high three-game point streak. His two assists in the second game were also a career high.

Senior forward Matt Tomassoni also set a career high with two assists, while tying a career high for points in a game with two. Sophomore forward Bryon Paulazzo tied a career high with two points as well.

"I thought it was process-wise a pretty good weekend for us," Head Coach Enrico Blasi said. "I thought all four lines contributed. I thought our defense played well; goaltending was pretty good all weekend. I like where our team is right now. Our team is ready for some kind of run here, so we'll see what happens."

The RedHawks will return to the ice next weekend as they travel to Ann Arbor, Mich. to take on the University of Michigan Wolverines in their final road series of the season.