MU hockey comes home

Miami University students and Oxford community members honor the men’s ice hockey team with a send off to the Frozen Four in Detroit.

Natalie McKerjee, Staff Writer

Miami University students and Oxford community members honor the men’s ice hockey team with a send off to the Frozen Four in Detroit. (SCOTT ALLISON | The Miami Student)

There is no debating the excitement circulating Miami University's campus regarding the recent victory that is sending the RedHawk hockey team to the Frozen Four.

Campus Activities Council (CAC) is planning an event that will allow students to support our team during the Semi-Final game Thursday, April 8 from central quad.

Junior Erik Hermann, CAC's spirit board co-chair, was heavily involved in establishing the event.

"Campus Activities Council's spirit board is renting a 24-foot inflatable screen and projecting the Final Four Semi-Final game versus Boston College," Hermann said.

According to Hermann, the idea for this event was generated by the concept of gathering students together to celebrate one of Miami's best assets: the hockey team.

"The members of my board originally came up with the idea of a Frozen Four viewing party at an uptown bar but due to CAC policy, we were unfortunately barred from pursuing that," Hermann said. "The idea came to me after I received an e-mail from Premiere Mobile Cinema, the business we are hiring that is providing us with the screen and projector. We winged it from there."

Watch this documentary on the life of a hockey player.

As for who the event is open to, Hermann said there may be appearances from professors, and even President David Hodge.

"Students are expected," Hermann said. "Teachers are encouraged. And President Hodge is demanded. Give the students what they want, I always say."

Besides being in the presence of Miami's finest, Hermann said students will have the opportunity to win prizes and munch on snacks during the hockey competition.

"Also, during the event, we are planning on having Miami concessions come out, as well as raffling off signed Miami hockey jerseys, and giving out a lot of unique items," Hermann said.

Sophomore Mike Palmisano plans to attend the event.

"This sounds like a really fun event," Palmisano said. "It will be nice to view the game with a large group of students."

Palmisano said although winning the raffle would be great, he would feel like a winner just by watching a Miami victory with a nice hotdog in hand.

According to Hermann, CAC's spirit board is very proud of their events, like this one, and intends on having more in the future.

"CAC's spirit board has come a long way in its few years of existence," Hermann said. "This is my third year on it and it has transformed from an organization that simply wrote checks to a contributing event planner for Miami athletics."

The event will take place at 8:30 p.m. April 8 on central quad, and it is free and open to the public.

"We just want students to come out and have a good time," Hermann said.