MU community celebrates 21st inauguration, officially welcomes President David Hodge

President Hodge walks in the academic procession from the Hub to Millett Hall Friday afternoon.

Stacey Skotzko, News Editor

President Hodge walks in the academic procession from the Hub to Millett Hall Friday afternoon. (Tony Amato)

Both Old Miami and New Miami came out on a crisp Friday afternoon to celebrate a piece of university history - the inauguration of Miami University's 21st president, David Hodge.

Graced with red and white balloons, carnival tents and plenty of red sweaters, Miami welcomed its new president Oct. 20 with a procession from Academic quad and an official inauguration ceremony at Millett Hall.

The pomp and circumstance concluded with a community barbecue - full of fried chicken and ice cream.

"I think this (inauguration) was more community-focused, more inward focused," said Karen White, assistant to the president for event planning and who has worked on both this inauguration and former President James Garland's.

White explained that the inauguration proceedings depend on the president's preference. Hodge chose to have a more community-focused event, through both the speakers and the barbecue. White said that the speakers at the ceremony represented the different facets of the university - students, faculty and staff.

"Instead of trying to feature someone outside of campus, we wanted to feature people inside of campus," White said.

The audience of approximately 900 in Millett Hall was bustling with excitement and even stood during a practice playing of "Old Miami, New Miami," in anticipation.

Winifred Pearson, widow of President Emeritus Paul Pearson, said the Miami community was delighted to have the Hodge family on campus.

"I think (today) is a wonderful, happy community event," Pearson said.

In addition, the ceremony was broadcast live via Webcast.

President Hodge was led in the academic procession down a blocked-off Talawanda Avenue by the university marshal, Emily Murphree, associate professor of mathematics and statistics. Also included in the march were the faculty of the colleges and schools, university trustees, executive officers of the administration, the deans, Miami University Marching Band, the Air Force and Naval ROTC, various student organizations, and international students, represented by flags of their home countries. This was the first time international students were chosen to participate in the march.

The Miami Fight Song played as the president entered Millett Hall, with community members singing along.

In addition, Phillip Shriver and James Garland, former Miami presidents, attended the ceremony.

Flying in for only a few hours, Chief Floyd Leonard of the Miami Tribe of Oklahoma gave remarks at the ceremony.

This was Chief Leonard's first time meeting Hodge and prior to the ceremony, he said he had only heard good things about the new president, repeating twice that the day was a "great occasion."

During his address, Chief Leonard spoke of the bond between the Miami Tribe and the university, highlighting the 15 Miami Tribe members who currently attend Miami.

"As a boy I always heard stories about the great university 'back east,' that was named for our people," Chief Leonard said. "I can remember a faint longing to be a part of it ... The moccasin prints of my ancestors are found all over this great university ... We look forward to the future with great anticipation of continued closeness between the Miami Nation and Miami University."

Hodge's vision of 'fusion'

During his inaugural address, President Hodge described a "fusion of learning" that he sees as the new driving force behind the university.

"The fusion of teaching, scholarship and service into learning can, like the nuclear counterpart, release large amounts of energy that will fuel our efforts and strengthen our accomplishments," Hodge said.

In describing his fusion philosophy, Hodge pinpointed three strategic directions that he sees Miami capitalizing on: adopting the mind of a scholar, embracing difference and diversity and extending learning through technology.

"This is a moment or special opportunity to be seized," Hodge said. " ... It is a moment of remarkable transformation, a moment when a student-centered approach to education, a hallmark of Miami University over most of its 200 years of existence, can fully be realized."

Hodge highlighted, in describing how to adopt the mind of a scholar, the connection between research and education.

"We spend too much time telling students what we think they need to know, and not enough time using their curiosity to drive their learning," he said.

Graduate student Nicole Berzins, who watched the inauguration via Webcast and attended the barbecue, was happy that Hodge addressed this "holistic" approach to learning.

"I was very impressed that he addressed the importance of the graduate student body ... Fusion is an interesting concept that will allow connectivity and collaboration, more proactive learning," Berzins said.

In addressing diversity, Hodge extended beyond wanting Miami to simply increase its diverse students, to challenging students to push beyond their comfort zones.

"We need to strongly encourage our students to ... avoid the safe and mundane routes by pushing into new areas, experiences and development," he said.

With his inauguration being broadcast live via Webcast, the new president commented how technology has changed the learning environment.

"We now have a beautiful physical campus with no boundaries," Hodge said, explaining the possibilities to connected with other educators across the globe.

And in his conclusion, Hodge emphasized Miami's historic past and how honored he was to be joining such a community.

"And yet, amid all of this transformation and dislocation, the spirit of Miami endures and guides," Hodge said. "We remain, as we have for 200 years, a university deeply intent on making a difference."

Picnic caps off ceremonies

Reactions to Hodge's speech and time on campus thus far has been positive, as Student Body President Brian Alexander explained in his brief address to Hodge during the ceremony.

"Students have been thrilled to see Dr. Hodge jogging across Central quad, walking to the student stands at football games, decorating his house for homecoming," Alexander said.

With Miami's 21st president officially in office, the barbecue on the brightly decorated front lawn of Millett allowed students and community members alike to eat free fried chicken, potato salad, vegetarian baked beans and ice cream.

Most said that they enjoyed the informal feel of the post-inauguration celebration and a number of students came to partake - even if just for the free food.

"(The picnic was) a good way for Hodge to get to know everybody," said junior Stephanie Mann. "It seems he's very opening, welcoming for everyone."

Debby Snyder; wife of Steve Snyder, executive assistance to the president and secretary to the board of trustees; explained that she attended the pre-inauguration luncheon, with approximately 125 people, and thought the picnic following was overall a great celebration.

Jerome Conley, mayor of Oxford, summed up most of the sentiments from those who spoke at the ceremony and attended the day's festivities.

"What an extraordinary day to be an Oxfordian and a Miamian," Conley said.