MU combines graduation rates across campuses

Amanda Hancock, Senior Staff Writer

The way Miami reports graduation rates may be changing because of a series of proposals passed by University Senate.

Miami approved a plan to make regional campuses into a new academic division last semester.

Two weeks ago, University Senate passed a resolution presented by Process Coordinator Jim Oris in which the departments and programs currently offered at the regional locations would be transferred administratively to the new academic division for the regional locations.

According to Oris, the proposed new subsidy formula will combine the graduation rates of all campuses, creating a change in how Miami reports them.

"The proposed funding formula from the state will use combined graduation rates from the three campuses and that may have a negative impact on our state subsidy," Oris said.

Because the rate will now be combined from all three campuses, Oris said it would affect how much state funding Miami gets.

In addition, Ohio Governor John Kasich proposed changes earlier this month to tie more state funding for higher education to graduation rates, instead of enrollment numbers.

With this in mind, and the combined graduation rate, Oris said indications are that Miami's subsidy from the state would decrease.

Miami's Oxford campus graduation rate is 81 percent, according to Clarie Wagner, associate director of University Communications.

The regional campuses have far lower rates for bachelor's degree completions: 22.4 percent at the Hamilton campus and 20.4 percent at the Middletown campus, according to 2010 figures, she said. What the combined rate will look is not known at this point.

Wagner said new academic division will cause campuses to report separately for retention and graduation rates, but the rates will be combined for state funding.

"Due to that combined graduation rate, we may lose some state-share-of instruction funds, but we don't know the exact amount yet," she said.

It is a necessary move for the regional campuses, though, Wagner said.

"We need the new division to aggressively develop new four-year degrees in order to remain competitive and increase retention and graduation rates, as well as to meet desires of students," Wagner said.

The main problem, according to Oris, is a small offering of four-year degrees at Hamilton and Middletown campuses.

"There are many schools in the region that offer a wide variety of two-year degrees that cost less than what we offer," he said.

According to Oris, regional locations currently offer as many as seven four-year degrees.

The faculty, staff and administration are aggressively pursuing the addition of at least, one new four-year degree each year for the next several years.

"Miami is not known, or branded, for its two year offerings, so it is important for Miami to offer high quality four-year degrees for the regional campuses to succeed," Oris said.

Although enrollment is decreasing, students who begin studying at regional campuses still seek a full traditional education.

According to Wagner, 87 percent of entering students at the regional campuses said they want four-year degrees.

Less than 5 percent of those students relocate to Oxford.

"The graduation rate is low because students have been leaving to obtain those degrees elsewhere," Wagner said.

The graduation rates may be affected by this combination, but Wagner said it is not the same case for national rankings.

"I believe national rankings for the most part will still focus on the university's main campus, so I don't foresee changes," she said.

Senate passed the proposal that would require the departments of Business Technology, Computer and Information Technology, Engineering Technology and Nursing to be transferred into the regional campus academic division.

After passing through Senate, the proposal to add more four-year programs into the new regional division now waits review from Provost Bobby Gempesaw before it becomes policy.