MU adds new residence program

A maximum of 60 students will particpate in the Mallory-Wilson Pre-Health Living Learning Community this fall. Hahne Hall was chosen because of its proximity to Pearson Hall.

Morgan Riedl

Students interested in a future in a health-related profession will soon have the benefit of another tool at their disposable that could bring them closer toward realizing their goals-a pre-health living learning community.

Beginning next fall, Hahne Hall will house the new Mallory-Wilson Pre-Health Living Learning Community (LLC).

The Mallory-Wilson Center for Healthcare Education is sponsoring the new LLC.

David Pennock, professor of zoology and director of the center, said the mission of the Mallory-Wilson Center is in-line with the purpose of the new LLC.

"The fundamental purpose of center is to help students prepare for a career in healthcare," Pennock said. "We coordinate pre-health advising for Miami."

The creation of the new LLC is the result of a student idea the center decided to sponsor.

Junior Jon Karnes, who originally proposed the idea, described the LLC as the result of collaboration.

"David Pennock and I got the idea because we saw a need for more interaction between physicians and students, and (we) wanted to help students interested in health professions," Karnes said.

According to Karnes, the inspiration for the LLC sprang from the intersection of two separate parts of his life.

"I've been an RA for two years and involved in Mallory-Wilson Center, so I thought why not combine the two," he said.

Discussing the inclusive nature of the program, Karnes emphasized its pre-health focus. Rather than cater to pre-med students, for whom the university already has a well-established advising program, Karnes said the new LLC would include students who have aspirations in other fields of the health industry.

"We saw a need to help those (other) students because we have pre-med nailed down," he said. "What's unique about the Mallory-Wilson Pre-Health community is the programming (that will) help students have a better idea of what the health profession will be about."

Despite the LLC being approved, the programming is still being worked out.

"We're still thinking and coming up with things we're going to try to do," Pennock said. "We're thinking about a one-credit seminar in the community to learn more about health care professions."

Students will also be able to enroll in organic chemistry sections specifically restricted to members of the LLC.

Karnes offered his own ideas for potential programming, such as trips to the medical schools at the University of Cincinnati or the Ohio State University, going to symposia on the ethics of medicine and current medical technology and bringing speakers on health insurance.

Pennock also noted that Rob Balfour, chief pre-medical adviser at Miami, will hold office hours in the LLC.

Pennock stressed the advantage the LLC can confer upon students, particularly considering the rigors of the pre-med track.

"We see (the LLC) as a tremendous opportunity for students interested in health care to live together, share experiences and support each other," he said.

Karnes highlighted the importance of the peer support that the community will foster.

"It'll be like a morale booster," he said.

Even with the many benefits and attractions, the LLC is not full yet.

Karnes' suggestion did not reach the administration until October, so the program got off to a late start.

"The idea wasn't set in stone until November or December, after the first-year students had a chance to choose learning living communities (for their sophomore year)," Karnes said.

Pennock acknowledged the negative effect of the program's late introduction, but was optimistic about the LLC's future.

"We'll start small, we're OK with that," Pennock said. "We want people to know it's there and we hope it grows by leaps and bounds."

Much work has already been put into the LLC in preparation for its opening for the fall semester.

"We have worked closely with the housing people, especially Vicka Bell-Robinson (LLC coordinator), to get it off the ground and get it going for next year," Pennock said.

Bell-Robison explained the status of the new LLC.

"There are 12 (students), we're hoping for more and there's still room if people are interested," Bell-Robinson said.

She explained that with a capacity for over 300 students, Hahne can handle the addition of the new LLC, which was meant to accommodate a limited number of students.

"The maximum (amount of students in the LLC) was 60, which we will not reach this year," Bell-Robinson said. "The other students will not be affected."

According to Bell-Robinson, Hahne Hall was chosen because of its location by Pearson Hall, where many pre-med classes are held.

"Since a lot of the students have courses associated with their major in that building, we thought that it'd be an ideal location," Bell-Robinson said.

She added that interested students can still apply to be a part of this new LLC by going to 111 Shriver. While there is no deadline, availability is limited.

The Mallory-Wilson center was established through a donation by Dr. Thomas H. Mallory, an orthopedic surgeon who graduated from Miami University in 1961, and his wife, Kelly S. Mallory.

To fulfill its mission of enhancing Miami's pre-med education, the center offers medical preceptorships-when students spend time with practicing physicians-sponsors speakers and offers aid in the process of applying to medical school.