Mild increase of fees fairly reflects rising costs

Prices for both residence halls and meal plans will be increasing for the 2010-11 academic year by 2 to 3.47 percent. Last year the minimum increase at any institution in Ohio was 4.6 percent, with Miami University increasing prices 5.1 percent. Housing, Dining and Guest Services (HDGS) will be raising prices to cover the costs of needed improvements in residence halls. The amenities include changes to public areas, more flat screen TVs and modernizing some bathrooms. The percent increase will raise double rooms by $83 and singles by $115.

The editorial board of The Miami Student understands students across the country and getting more upset about increases in tuition and fees, but these hikes are places where Miami could have increased prices even more and chose not to do so.

The increase is lower than the 4.5 percent recommended by the manager of food purchasing. This board applauds the university for taking those recommendations and

concerns into their decision, but ultimately coming to a lower result with which they felt comfortable. Food prices have been rising and by working to cover these rising prices as they happen the university is showing fiscal responsibility.

Residence halls need renovations to stay competitive with other universities, and making small changes during a time of budget deficits can help improve the look of the halls until better funding is secured to make all desired improvements.

The university can show perspective students better study spaces and lounge areas in residence halls without going into greater debt.

Teaching students fiscal responsibility and controlling personal debt is more important than ever, and by funding these improvements without creating more debt the university is teaching through actions, not words.

The board understands the need for the increase in residence halls and meal plans and appreciates the university finding a fiscally responsible way to make needed improvements.