Miami’s National Pan-Hellenic Council hosts first ever Stroll-Off

By Angela Hatcher, Senior Staff Writer

At 7:30 p.m. Saturday, March 12, students crowded into Wilks Theater, eager for Miami's National Pan-Hellenic Council's (NPHC) first ever Stroll-Off.

Strolling, a dance that is also referred to as "party walking," combines precise formations with repeated synchronized movements and dates back to the inception of the Divine Nine in the 1920s - or the nine African-American Greek organizations that exist nationally, four of which currently exist at Miami.

Deeply rooted in African-American Greek tradition, strolling has become a staple to represent the culture and identity of the black Greek community.

According to Alpha Phi Alpha president, senior Tyraan Sales, this year's Stroll-Off is a spinoff of the former NPHC Step Show.

"There were a lot of logistical things that changed this year, like the location and the timeframe," Sales said. "We pulled it together rather quickly."

The event maintained the competitive aspect of the annual Step Show. A panel of three judges assembled at the front of Wilks and ranked the three rounds of performances. Of the three organizations competing, a runner up and a winner were announced at the end.

NPHC president Jalen Brown kicked off the event with a bang, describing the Stroll-Off as an opportunity to showcase dance skills within the fraternities and sororities with the combination of stepping and strolling.

He described the African origins of the movement being infused into the the traditions of the organizations to express a unified sense of culture.

On a campus dominated by the Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Association, Sales views this event as an opportunity to showcase the NPHC organizations.

"There's not many of us on campus," Sales said. "Events of this nature really give us exposure. It gives people a preview of what we do and who we are. It's a demonstration of our culture, our traditions. It gives us a way to express some of the things we've worked hard on."

Despite a relatively low attendance, the audience was charged with excitement for each performance. Female students squealed when the Alphas and Sigmas hit the stage with some of their signature strolls. People cheered on the Kappas as they strutted onto the stage. Alumni joined their brothers and sisters to reminisce and honor the dancing traditions of their respective organizations.

The competition was fierce, each organization wanting to put its best foot forward.

Sales described each dance as a combination of tradition and chapter-centric movements with bits of new creations mixed in.

"A lot of things are traditional," Sales said. "But if you factor in creativity and crowd participation and the growing nature of what people want to see, things are bound to be changed a little bit."

First-year Mona Mae Juwillie was at the front of Wilks Theater with 10 of her closest friends, supporting the NPHC organizations on Saturday night.

"The event was the highlight of my freshman Miami experience. It was so humbling and rewarding to see this," she said. "It just reminds you how much tradition is behind these black fraternities and sororities, not just African-American traditions, but African traditions as well."

For Tyraan Sales, events like these mean a great deal not just to his fraternity, but NPHC and Miami's campus as a whole.

"At the end of the day, we do these events for the people, not for ourselves," Sales said. "If we didn't have the people there, we wouldn't have an event."

"It means a lot not only to my organization, but I think I can speak for everybody when I say it means a lot because it was some much, some much commitment," Sales said. "And especially for our alumni, to see we are still upholding the traditions and upholding the chapter in a great light. We want to show the student body who we are and gain interest as to what we do, being so small on this campus. I would say it means a tremendous deal."

Competing on Saturday, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. brought home the cake, beating out Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. (2nd) and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. (3rd).

After the Stroll-Off ended and the Kappas were announced the champions, students wandered their way from Wilks to the Heritage room in Shriver for an icebreaker event, strolling and dancing until 2 a.m.