Miami to build Hueston Woods resource center

Natalie McKerjee, Senior Staff Writer

Miami University prides itself on the research opportunities it provides students, and evidence of that is a new project that involves students and faculty from a variety of majors.

The collaborative effort watershed education and research center aims to create plans for a new research facility located on Acton Lake in Hueston Woods.

According to Don Kaufman, director of Miami's Hefner Zoology Museum and the GREEN Teachers Institute, Miami was given a planning grant in December 2010 from the National Science Foundation to create a detailed plan of the facility.

"There have been various focus groups and planning groups, and the neat thing is that students are involved in all of them," Kaufman said.

Students from majors like graphic design, architecture and other fine arts have all contributed to the planning process in addition to students from traditional science majors like zoology and biology, according to Kaufman.

Ann Rypstra, professor of zoology and director of the Ecology Research Center, said the students involved have already benefitted from the facility even though it is yet to be constructed.

"There are 45 students involved in the design and contraction ideas, and if it is contracted, then these students could serve as models for other students," Rypstra said.

Kaufman said it would be a rewarding experience for the students to bring their families and friends to the facility to allow them to enjoy a research center to which they contributed.

According to Kaufman, some features of the facility will include glass viewing areas that allow visitors to watch the research being conducted as well as aquariums to see underwater wildlife in the lake. This feature will allow researchers to study how the watershed functions, while visitors can view the research process and appreciate the natural resource.

Kaufman said the center will focus on watershed education and research to learn more about the ecological aspects of watersheds that drain into lakes.

According to Rypstra, Miami students will have the opportunity to conduct research at the facility alongside Hueston Woods staff and visiting researchers. 

The project is not set in stone. Rypstra said after plans are completed, the next and more complicated step in the process will be funding the facility.

Rypstra said the funding process will likely commence at the end of the semester.

"We hope by the end of the semester we will have a good design, and on the fourth of May we will have a reception for the public, which will showcase the designs made by students," Rypstra said. "Then, the next step will be to strategize how to get funding."

Some funding options include state funding from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, the state parks system or donations, according to Rypstra.

Kaufman said construction of the facility would impact more than just Miami students.

"The overall purpose is to educate the public so they can learn about the lake and watershed and also enjoy the wildlife," Kaufman said.

Rypstra said the facility will also benefit visitors to Hueston Woods.

"(The project) has helped the outreach activity that Miami does with local teachers and is a model for integrating design, development and research," Rypstra said.