Miami suspends three fraternities during summer break

Graphic representing fraternities being taken off campus.

Kappa Sigma, Phi Kappa Psi and Sigma Nu are no longer recognized due to violations

By Bonnie Meibers, Senior Staff Writer

Miami's herd of Greek organizations, one of the largest in the country - especially for an institution of its size - became a little smaller after investigations last spring.

The Miami chapters of Kappa Sigma, Phi Kappa Psi and Sigma Nu fraternities are now unrecognized by Miami and their national organizations.

Sigma Nu and Phi Kappa Psi underwent officer investigations last semester, both resulting in multi-year suspensions.

Sigma Nu was suspended for violating two sections of the Miami University Student Code of Conduct - hazing and a violation of sanctions. The fraternity was already on probation from an alcohol policy violation last fall, according to Tim Braddick, director of Fraternal Operations at Sigma Nu's national headquarters. The fraternity is suspended through March 2018.

Phi Kappa Psi also violated the Miami Code of Conduct: committing mental abuse, prohibited use of alcohol and disorderly conduct. The organization is suspended through May 2019.

Kappa Sigma's charter was revoked, but the Miami chapter of Kappa Sigma has the option to appeal this action. If the organization were to win the appeal, the chapter could work toward rebuilding.

According to Mitchell Wilson, executive director of the Kappa Sigma national headquarters, the organization is still in the judicial process and reviewing the allegations. At this time, the Kappa Sigma chapter at Miami is unrecognized indefinitely.

As unrecognized fraternities, these organizations receive no funding from the university, cannot use campus facilities for recruitment or meetings, post fliers on campus or participate in any Greek-related programs.

The Cliff Alexander Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life played a large role in the investigation processes for all three fraternities.

According to Colleen Blevins, associate director of the Cliff Alexander Office, the university and the national headquarters of a fraternity work together in situations like this.

"If a chapter should lose recognition by the institution or national organization, it is [Cliff Alexander Office's] goal to work in partnership and support the decision that has been made," Blevins said.

Although almost all privileges have been revoked from these organizations, the Interfraternity Council sees this as an opportunity to learn and change, according to the council's president, senior Zach Scheid.

"I am confident with the university's decision," Scheid said. "We are going to learn from past mistakes and solidify who we are as fraternities on this campus."

With these three added to the mix, eight fraternity chapters are now unrecognized on Miami's campus. Others include Acacia, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Sigma Tau Gamma, as well as Alpha chapters of Beta Theta Pi and Sigma Chi.

Twenty-three fraternity chapters remain in good standing at Miami.