Miami students, professors discuss teaching styles in the classroom

By Emily O'Connor, Senior Staff Writer

Some prefer their names prefaced with "Dr.," others will settle for a simple "professor." And, others will buck the formalities all together and allow their students to address them by their first names.

Some professors value a highly professional presentation. They wear business professional clothing in the classroom, they want to be addressed formally and they usually avoid getting to know their students on a personal level.

Others ask students to call them by their first name, they dress casually and strive to connect with their students and understand their personal lives.

Greg Thoelke, a graduate student who teaches at the university, said he wants his students to perceive a client-guide relationship in his classroom. Despite teaching in a relaxed setting, he believes the professor still needs to assert responsibility in their classroom.

"As a professor, I feel a responsibility to not only transfer knowledge and education, but to truly care for each of my students," Thoelke said. "I find I can do it best when I create and facilitate a relaxed classroom environment."

Miami does not limit professors' classroom apparel and how they present themselves to students. Teachers, like their students, are free to express themselves however they please.

Michel Pactat, senior instructor of French and Italian, said he wants his students to feel comfortable in the classroom.

"When I walk into the classroom, I want to hear discussion from students about their weekend, homework or anything," Pactat said.

Pactat said he believes dress codes may be stricter in more professional departments, like the Farmer School of Business, but that he has free reign.

"I always try to be decent," he said. "I don't want to create a pedestal by the clothes I wear or the way I dress."

Students have different learning styles, and they often prefer different educational environments. Some students need a relaxed and comfortable classroom while others need a strict and serious workspace.

Sophomore Sean Davis prefers a laid back professor rather than one who is formal, but he always wants them to remain professional. He said a relaxed and friendly teaching style is best, especially in higher-level courses. In his experience, professors are able to reach through to their students more easily when they know them personally.

"I feel most comfortable in the classroom when the professor teaches this way," Davis said. "I think a majority of students learn best in relaxed environments."

Junior Katie Tullis said she believes students cannot engage well with class information when professors don't give them a homework break every once and a while.

"Strict professors usually fail at understanding their students' other obligations," Tullis said.

Tullis also said she has been able to overcome her toughest semesters with professors who she felt understood her and cared about things she was going through.

"I don't think professors should be our friends because there is no structure," Tullis said. "But, I do much better in a class when I feel comfortable coming to them."