Miami should lift sidewalk chalk ban

Editorial Editors, The Miami Student

The use of sidewalk chalk by student organizations for spreading awareness about events or ideas is a hallmark of the college experience, one that is relatively inexpensive and gives the campus more character. It is also banned at Miami University, and has been since the 2007-08 academic year, according to off-campus senator Matt Forrest. It is unclear exactly why the ban was put in place, or whether any specific incidents fomented it. However, the editorial board of The Miami Student feels it is unreasonable and borders on censorship.

At the heart of the problem is a dubious rationale. The prohibition likely does little to dissuade vandals from spay-painting or chalking profane or irrelevant things on sidewalks. Instead, it denies legitimate student organizations a viable platform for publicity. At a time when the administration is constantly (and rightfully) espousing the virtues of student engagement, it is counterproductive to stymie a means of student expression.

This board recognizes Miami's need to protect its image and brand equity. It is also important to guard against hateful or inflammatory speech. The need may also arise to allow groups to reserve certain areas of sidewalk — such as sidewalk surrounding the hub and Slantwalk — for limited time periods. This board feels a regulatory process similar to the process used for the approval and disbursement of table tents would be a good fit for sidewalk chalk advertisements.

Finally, we feel sidewalk chalk is aesthetically pleasing. In the mind of this board, sidewalk chalk is an organic fit for the picturesque college experience, alongside Frisbee playing in the quad or studying under old, distinguished-looking trees. Sidewalk chalk is the perfect embodiment of everything college students are: passionate about ideals, yet light-hearted and youthful. It says, "Let's save Darfur … and then play some hopscotch!"

The prohibition on sidewalk chalk is unfounded, detracts from student involvement, smells a bit like censorship and is plain silly. It's so absurd it would be funny if it weren't so draconian.