Miami satsfied with opening meet results

Justin Maskulinski, For The Miami Student

Both Miami University Track and Field teams headed to Vanderbilt University for its first competitive outdoor track meets of the year Friday and Saturday at the Vanderbilt Black and Gold Invitational.

Despite the weather not being as warm as they had hoped for, men's Head Coach Warren Mandrell was satisfied with the RedHawk's performance as they battled the same chilly weather they have been training in.

"It was a very good first meet for us," Mandrell said. "Considering how crappy the weather has been [for training] it was a pleasant surprise. The weather [at Vanderbilt] may have been a slight factor for explosive races."

Junior Rob Stein placed first in the discus throw, with a distance of 50.52 meters.

"That was a pleasant surprise, there were a lot of good throwers at the meet," Mandrell said. "It was a good solid mark for [Stein]."

The RedHawks also dominated in the 800 meter race as seniors Jack Spilman and Jarrod Eick and junior Wade Coffin finished second, third and fifth respectively.

"That's a really strong group," Mandrell said. "They've been working very hard. Spilman broke his personal record."

Senior John Cantwell recorded his personal best in the triple jump as he finished second place with a 14.31-meter jump. Cantwell also broke his personal record in the long jump, finishing fifth overall, as he jumped 7.2 meters.

The men's 4x100 relay team finished second, and Mandrell said junior Jahquil Hargrove, the anchor for the RedHawks, passed the anchor for the University of Louisville to give the 'Hawks second place. The 'Hawks 4x100 team included freshman Jason Bailey, sophomore JaShawn Combs, junior Sam Spallinger and Hargrove.

Mandrell said the meet was, "all in all a great first meet."

The women's track and field team also travelled to Nashville, Tenn. in hopes of warmer weather, and although disappointed, Head Coach Kelly Phillips said she did not mind the weather.

"We wanted 60s or 70s, but what we had was fine," Phillips said. "I have no complaints."

Phillips was more than satisfied with the way the RedHawks performed in the non-scored meet.

"We did really well, much better than where we thought we would be at this point," Phillips said. "We are better than we were at this time last year."

The 'Hawks most successful race was the 3000 meter where sophomore Anna Lamb took first place with a time of 9:48.48 and finished five seconds in front of the second place runner. Sophomores Elisa Frazier and Jess Hoover finished sixth and ninth.

"They all ran well in the 3000," Phillips said. "[Lamb] did a really great job."

Junior Tori Pattera won the javelin throw for the RedHawks with a throw of 46.95 meters; her closest competitor threw 39.77 meters.

Senior Layne Baggett finished second in the first heat of the 100 meter hurdles with a time of 13.69, just milliseconds out of first place.

Miami was trying a new team in the 4x100 and was disqualified from the race.

"We dropped the baton, when we have new people in a relay it happens," Phillips said. "We can make mistakes now so they don't happen later."

Both teams will compete in the Oliver Nikoloff Invitational March 29 and 30, in Cincinnati.