Miami revamps dual majors

Stephen Bell, Campus Editor

The college experience may be getting a little shorter for students at Miami University. The school plans to revamp its dual bachelor's/master's program.

Members of Miami's graduate council met Thursday to discuss the future of the dual bachelor's/master's program and possible changes to it.

Since 2003, Miami undergraduates have been able to simultaneously receive a bachelor's and a master's degree by participating in a combined program, according to Ann Frymier, associate dean of Miami's graduate school.

Frymier said while the program has existed since 2003, participation has been low among students and departments, causing the university to re-examine the program.

She said approximately 20 students are currently part of the program.

"More recently, the issue has been reviving the program because when it was created in 2003 it was kind of forgotten about," she said. "There were not many students who used it or departments who encourage students to do it, it wasn't quite developed."

Sophomore Cameron Mokas did not even know a dual program was available at Miami. He said if more students knew about it, interest would likely be high.

"As a social work major, a dual master's and a bachelor's program would help me tremendously," Mokas said. "A lot of students have to stay at Miami for five years anyway, so getting a dual degree would make it even more worthwhile."

While talks to redesign the program began in 2009, Frymier said progress was halted as Miami grappled with more important budgetary issues.

However, as talks over the program resume, many are excited about what the program could offer.

John Bailer, Department of Statistics chair, was part of the 2009 talks to revitalize the dual degree program and remains committed to it today.

According to Bailer, six hours of graduate credit can currently be counted toward both undergraduate and graduate degree requirements. However, the proposed changes to the program would increase that number to 15, making it easier for eligible students to earn a dual degree in four or more years.

"Students must receive both degrees simultaneously, or else they forfeit the ability to double count," he said. "There needs to be some careful academic planning to do this."

To be eligible for the program students must have junior status and a 3.5 GPA, according to Frymier. She said students must also apply and be accepted into a given graduate program to acquire dual master's and bachelor's degrees.

"Once and if they are accepted, they can simultaneously work on their bachelor's and master's degrees," Frymier said. "Once they reach 128 undergrad hours, they are considered graduate students by the registrar."

After reaching graduate status, students can then finish their graduate work and receive the dual degrees, she said.

Frymier also said students are not expected to pay double tuition. Students pay undergraduate tuition rates until they reach graduate status, after which they begin paying graduate tuition rates.

Frymier said the program does have some financial kinks, which she hopes to work out in the coming months.

"We are looking to make it more economical," she said. "Scholarships are now just for undergraduate students, so they would not pay for tuition once a student is classified as a graduate student."

Both Frymier and Bailer are confident about the program's future.

"I think this could be a real attraction for students to come to Miami," Bailer said. "I think it's part of the evolution of education."