Miami recognizes first female students for National Women’s History Month

By Maggie Thomas, For The Miami Student

Last week the Miami University community recognized National Women's History Month. The M.I.A.M.I. WOMEN Committee celebrated with its third annual Women in Leadership Symposium.

Miami University was a male-dominated campus when it was established in 1809. The enrollment of students at Miami was barely above 200 students, until two women broke this barrier in 1887.

At the time, the university's president was Richard White McFarland. His daughter, Francis McFarland, was the first woman admitted to the university. Shortly after McFarland was admitted to the university, Daisy McCullough made the choice to attend the university. These women were named the first women to enroll.

Although McFarland and McCullough broke the barrier in 1887, enrollment for women at the university didn't increase immediately. It wasn't until 1902 that the university saw an increase in female enrollment. Throughout those 15 years, there were no more than 16 women at the university.

This occurred when the General Assembly, the world's forum for discussing world peace and security, established a bill that commissioned both Miami and Ohio University to create new divisions for "professional preparation of teachers." These divisions were named "Ohio State Normal Colleges," both at Miami and Ohio University.

Lauren Allen, president of Women in Business at Miami, said these women opened the doors for female students today.

"I think definitely they paved the way for other women who hoped to continue their education or expand their career options for the future," said Allen.

Members of Miami University's Women in Business work to inspire women.

"Our motto for Women in Business is to unite, enable and inspire women. Having these role models that helped pave the way allows women to empower each other now," said Allen.

Lilya Nguyen is a senior majoring in strategic communication, with a minor in political science. She feels encouraged and inspired by her advisers and professors to take the classes that meet her interests, even though many believe these classes are male-dominated.

"I have never felt discriminated by my gender in any of my classes," said Nguyen. "People say certain majors are male-dominated. I always felt equal in any class I've taken at Miami, whether it's a male-dominated field or not."

The first two women who attended Miami allowed female students today to experience equal education. Nguyen feels that she is given the same opportunities and accommodations that male students receive.

"There is always a first time for everything. These women have paved the path for us," said Nguyen. "It's my responsibility to continue this path for the future generation who will come to Miami for higher education."

In honor of National Women's History Month, Judy Smith, a lawyer and public relations executive, spoke at Miami last week for the Women in Leadership Symposium.

"Women can be leaders," Nguyen said. "Miami uses its resources to bring speakers to campus who can inspire young women to achieve their goals."

Sophomore Jill O'Bryan said she appreciates the decisions of these women to attend the university.

"I definitely think that a lot of people in our generation don't realize that women like them had to come before us," said O'Bryan. "Somebody had to be the one to step up."

McFarland and McCullough broke these barriers and paved the way for female students today.

"Back then it wasn't the expectation that everyone went to college. Today, the barriers we face are a lot different than those back then," said O'Bryan.

Society often believes attending college is a cultural norm, or something that everyone does.

"It's such a cultural norm that women go to college today," said O'Bryan. "But the reason we are able to do that is because the first two women before us who went to Miami broke this barrier."