Miami Men Take LSU Invitational

Josh North, For The Miami Student

Without one of the team's best runners and with a humid and difficult course, the Miami University men's cross country team came out on top against host school Louisiana State University (LSU) and 12 other teams at the LSU invitational Saturday.

The RedHawks totaled a score of 32 points and had all five of their top finishers in the top 12.

The Red and White were led yet again by juniors David Eichenberger and Jarrod Eick, who finished second and third, respectively. Eichenberger finished with a time of 27:09 and Eick was only two-tenths of a second behind him.

"The team ran very well, the course was a lot more challenging than we expected," Head Coach Warren Mandrell said. "It was really humid but we ran tough."            

The RedHawks got a great contribution from sophomore Matt Marol, who had been injured previously and was making his season debut. Marol finished third on the team and second overall. Sophomore David Wing could not run due to injury, which made it extremely crucial that someone step up in his place.

"It was very nice for him to step right in, it was like there was no change at all," Mandrell said.

Sophomore Daniel Garleb finished eighth and freshman Ryan Moncrieff rounded out the scoring by finishing 12th.

The team is preparing to defend its title at the All-Ohio meet next Friday at Cedarville University. Mandrell plans to let the team run some moderate workouts this week in order to keep the team fresh. It is unclear whether or not Wing will be able to run, but Mandrell is hopeful.