Miami looking to maintain momentum at Ferris State

Joe Gieringer, Staff Writer

The Miami University men's hockey team continues Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) play this weekend, traveling north to the state of Michigan for the second weekend in a row. This time, however, they square off against the No. 19 Ferris State Bulldogs in Big Rapids, Mich.

The No. 4 RedHawks (4-1-1) fell one spot in the USCHO.com poll after suffering their first loss of the season at the hands of No. 8 University of Michigan last Friday. But Miami bounced back Saturday and won in comeback fashion, defeating the Wolverines at Yost Arena for just the sixth time ever.

After battling in the hostile environment in Ann Arbor, Mich., Head Coach Enrico Blasi said his team is well prepared to play in Ferris State's Robert L. Ewigleben Arena, which seats 2,493. The Bulldog student section, affectionately named the "Dawg Pound," has been known to use opponents' mothers' names in a variety of chants.

"It's very loud, their student body is on top of you," Blasi said. "They're a pretty rambunctious group ... things happen quickly in that building so you have to be aware of things. It's very similar [to Yost] in that it's intense, so it'll be a lot of fun."

Sophomore forward Austin Czarnik was named CCHA Player of the Month for October. He has recorded eight points through six games and holds a +6 rating on the season, which is eighth nationally. It is the first time Czarnik has won the award.

Freshman forward Riley Barber was named CCHA Rookie of the Week, the first time he has won the award. Barber is currently tied for the team lead with four goals and is currently on a five game point streak.

After winning the CCHA regular season last year, Ferris State skated its way to the national championship, but fell to Boston College in the main event. This year the Bulldogs got off to a sluggish 0-1-1 start, but have fought back to a respectable 2-2-2 record heading into the weekend series with Miami.

The RedHawks have struggled against the Bulldogs in recent years, winning only one of seven games dating back to 2008, which is just one of the reasons senior captain Steven Spinell said this weekend will be another early test on the road for this young RedHawk squad.

"We have a whole new group this year, and we're just going to bring our energy and stick to the game plan coach lays out for us," Spinell said. "Ferris State's a really good team and we definitely respect their talent."

Sophomore forward Cody Murphy, who tallied Miami's first goal in last weekend's loss to Michigan, said although the Bulldogs are a quality opponent, they are ultimately just another team on the schedule.

"We know that they have a good team, and obviously we have a lot of respect for them," Murphy said. "But obviously we have a clear cut goal in mind, and we want to come out with two wins. I don't think we're going to take anything for granted."

As the weekend approaches, Blasi said his team would have to play Miami hockey if they want to come away with a pair of wins. span>

"They're really good at home," Blasi said. "They play a very good system, so not only are we going to have to win battles, but we're going to have to win special teams, we're going to be patient. We've just got to be at the top of our game to give ourselves the best chance. This will be another good test for our team."

The puck drops 7:05 p.m. Friday and Saturday.