Miami hosts RedHawk Invitational

Photo by Connor Moriarty, Photography Editor

By Harrison Schwartz, For The Miami Student

The Miami University track and field team hosts their third home meet in four weeks at the RedHawk Invitational Saturday. The 'Hawks compete against Ohio University, University of Cincinnati, University of Dayton, Ball State University, Central Michigan University and Xavier University, among others.

The men's team enters the meet after a fifth place finish at the Illinois Twilight last weekend.

Men's head coach Warren Mandrell is looking forward to seeing his athletes continue to improve at the Invitational.

"We try to get a little better at every meet," said Mandrell. "We strive to get better times, better jumps. Being at home might help the team relax a little bit and get some better marks. We want to prepare the athletes to get Division I qualifying times."

Junior high jumper Peter Stefanski, who finished second in the high jump at the All-Ohio Championship Apr. 11, will compete in his natural event. Senior Skyler Coburn will run in the 400-meter hurdles.

Three MU athletes are forgoing the Redhawk Invitational to compete at University of Pennsylvania in the Penn Relays, one of the oldest meets in the country. Senior javelin thrower Tyler Yee will compete in the javelin throw after taking last weekend's meet at UI off to rest his shoulder. Junior Joe Stewart is competing in the 5k run, and senior Dave Wing will run the 10k.

The women's team returns to the track after a bye week. Women's head coach Kelley Phillips thinks the break will have a positive impact on her team's performance this weekend.

"I think the team really enjoyed having the week off," said Phillips. "It gave us an opportunity to train harder this week. It gives the athletes an extra week to mentally prepare."

After suffering a hamstring injury earlier this year, senior Jasmine Watts will return to competition for the first time this season in the long jump. Junior Megan Beaver will compete in the 800-meter dash after finishing second in the event at the All-Ohio Championship.

The field events begin at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Ryder Track. Track events start at noon.