Miami Golf Finishes Fall in Florida

By Justin Maskulinski, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University golf team completed the fall half of their season Tuesday as the RedHawks finished 8th out of 14 teams in the Homewood Hilton Airport Invite.

The tournament was played at the par-72 Old Corkscrew Golf Club course in Estero, Florida. Florida State University shot three over par as a team to win the event.

The 'Hawks were tied for fourth place heading into the second round. Head coach Zac Zedrick said the 'Hawks finish was something he has seen before.

"It's kind of what we've faced the entire fall," Zedrick said. "We just have pockets of riding the bogey train and that's what happened the second round and we obviously didn't play better [Tuesday], and fortunately we didn't move behind any more."

The 'Hawks were led by freshman Patrick Flavin, who finished 15th individually. Flavin, who finished four of the five fall tournaments in the top 20 individually, shot rounds of 75, 72 and 77.

"[My fall] was really consistent; it was really good golf," Flavin said. "I think I've been playing really good golf and I'm really happy with the way it went."

Flavin thinks the fall half of the season is a sign of things to come for him and thinks improving the mental side of his game will bring him to a higher level.

"If I can continue to be consistent and stay mentally in the moment, I'll be able to improve a ton for the spring," Flavin said.

Junior Jack Sparling finished in a tie for 21st after rounds of 76, 75 and 76. Senior Scott Cahill was able to improve to a tie for 31st place after shooting even par in the final round. Cahill shot rounds of 76 and 81 on Monday.

Zedrick said in order to improve, the mental side of the 'Hawks game needs work.

"Every guy has a place where they get to mentally, you know, there's a lot of confidence and you handle both the good and the bad equally well," Zedrick said. "We need to be more consistent being in that place mentally. You make a bogey or two and you kind of let it bother you and all of the sudden you're 4, 5, 6 over par. That's the big thing and that's across the board. If we get better at that, we're going to be in really good shape this spring."

Although the fall didn't end the way he wanted it to, Zedrick has high hopes for the spring half of the schedule.

"I'm encouraged," Zedrick said. "I think we're on the right track. Obviously we've got some things we need to clean up. We're on a good track and there's plenty of time between now and the beginning of February."

Zedrick said he has "no doubt" that reaching the optimal mental state will allow the 'Hawks to reach their full potential.

As Chubbs Peterson famously said in 'Happy Gilmore,' "Think of a place that's really perfect, your own happy place. Go there, and all your anger will just disappear."

If it worked for Adam Sandler, it can work for the 'Hawks.