Miami fires Fantanarosa as women's basketball coach

Tom Downey, Sports Editor

(Maria Fantanarosa)

Miami University Athletic Director David Sayler fired women's basketball Head Coach Maria Fantanarosa April 4. Fantanarosa had been the head coach for 15 years and had a 237-212 record at her alma mater.

"I think first and foremost Maria did a really solid job here as a Coach and as a person she'll be missed in this department," Sayler said. "She has a great personality and really did a solid job as far as coaching. That being said, we're graduating our kids, they're doing well in school, they're doing well in the community, but I don't think we have to settle for just that. I want to win conference championships at the same time."

Sayler said he expects to compete for more Mid-American Conference (MAC) Championships in women's basketball. The RedHawks won just one conference title under Fantanarosa.

"Its time to do all the things that Miami continues to do, but on top of that, yes, I would like to see us competing and winning MAC championships on a more regular basis," Sayler said. "If you look back on the women's side of our ledger; we've won 10 MAC championships in the last four years, so clearly there is a recipe here that works on the women's side of things. But for some reason in basketball it just hasn't been able to take that next step on a consistent basis as I would like."

The 'Hawks finished last season with a 19-13 record, going 10-6 in conference before getting bounced by the University at Buffalo in the second round of the MAC tournament. They fell to the University of Illinois in the first round of the Women's National Invitational Tournament. For a team that was projected to win the MAC East, it was a disappointing season, Sayler said.

"I think everybody was disappointed in the result," Sayler said. "We were picked preseason number one in the league and when you end up finishing sixth basically, I don't think anyone feels that we achieved as much as we could have this year."

Sayler said he is not trying to send any type of message to other coaches with the firing of Fantanarosa.

"I don't believe that there is such a thing as sending a message when someone's career is at stake," Sayler said. "I think you make each decision that you need to make based on the decisions that are in front of you. If other people take that and extrapolate that into some kind of message, that is their decision. It is certainly not something I intended to do."

Sayler said he has already been talking with potential candidates and has met with about 15 of them. He said he has an idea of what he is looking for in a new coach.

"We're really striving to find someone that has a great track record of success," Sayler said. "On the court, not only with the other things as a given, but also just of what they've been a part of as a coach. Winning programs, winning conference championships, going to NCAA Tournaments; those things are going to be important in what we look for."

Sayler said he would prefer to hire a female coach, but would not rule out hiring a male.

"I think anytime you can hire a qualified female for the position, that's what you'd prefer to do," Sayler said. "But I do think at this point, and as critical of a hire as this is for us, we need to hire the best person. Certainly if they are female, that would be even better..."

Sayler said he has high expectations for Miami and for the women's basketball program. He also said he expects to improve Millett Hall.

"I think along with doing some facility improvements to Millett, my long term plan is to have us in the top third of the league each year," Sayler said. "Balls bounce funny ways, kids get hurt I understand you can't win every year. I think we should at least be in competition to be in the top third of the league every year."