Miami falls to Wright State, remains first in MAC

By Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University softball team dropped its third weekday game in a row Tuesday, falling 6-3 at Wright State University. The team is 4-4 in games played Monday through Thursday.

"Wright State came to play today," head coach Clarisa Crowell said. "They pitched better and scored more runs and just beat us, plain and simple. [Senior pitcher] Remy Edwards was out of town and it was her first game back, and she just needs more time. Their offense found the holes [to put down hits] and we didn't. We just need to put this one behind us."

Wright State (11-24, 6-2 Horizon League) struck first in the bottom of the first inning with a two-run home run. Miami answered in the third with a RBI groundout from sophomore second baseman Eryn McCarver. However, four RBIs in the third and fourth innings gave the Raiders a steady 6-1 lead.

WSU's lead shrunk to 6-3 after an RBI from freshman catcher Rylee Whispel in the fifth and an RBI flyout from junior right fielder Taylor Shuey in the seventh. The Red and White sent a runner to first base via a hit-by-pitch with one out in the final stanza, but a flyout and a strikeout ended the comeback bid.

McCarver led the way for the RedHawks (21-14, 5-1 MAC), going 2-4 with two runs scored and a RBI. Shuey and senior center fielder Tiyona Marshall also recorded a pair of hits. Shuey scored one runner and Marshall scored a run. MU missed scoring opportunities, going 2-11 with runners in scoring position.

Edwards (3-4) struggled in the start, allowing eight hits and five earned runs in 2.3 innings of work.

"We did okay, but it wasn't our best," McCarver said. "We were waiting for hits and they never came. We need to work on our defense. We're more sound than what we've shown. We need to stay focused on MAC play and stay calm. We can take three out of four this weekend, but we can win them all if we bring our 'A' game. We're confident in the MAC and we know we can win."

Miami travels to Bowling Green State University for a doubleheader Friday. First pitch is 1 p.m.

Bowling Green (12-16, 3-3 MAC) limps into the series after losing three of its last four games. However, the Falcons are 4-0 at home. Three BGSU players hit over .300. Sophomore infielder Aspen Searle leads the pack with a .366/.763/.423 mark. The pitching staff allows a .298 batting average.

After the BGSU games, the 'Hawks face University of Toledo in a two-game series.

Toledo (12-23, 0-6 MAC) is on a seven-game losing streak and hosts Ball State University before taking on Miami. Sophomore utility player Celeste Fidge anchors the Rockets' offense, hitting .420/.700/.448. The pitching staff allows teams to hit .330 and has a 5.28 ERA.

"We need to get back to playing Miami softball," Crowell said. "Today was not our day and we were outplayed, but we'll be fine. We're looking forward to bouncing back on Friday."