Miami fails to deliver twice over weekend

By Harrison Schwarz, For The Miami Student

The Miami University women's soccer team fell to 2-2 after dropping two games over the weekend. Missed opportunities led to a 2-0 loss against Valparaiso University on Friday, and a two-goal deficit in the first 18 minutes became a 2-1 loss against Evansville University on Sunday.

Head coach Bobby Kramig is still optimistic and sees a bright future ahead for his squad.

"We are a good team struggling with some issues right now," Kramig said. "We'll work through it, and I have no doubt we'll emerge in good shape. There's nothing here that can't be fixed and I am fully confident in our team's ability to rise to the challenge and turn things around."

Miami had plenty of opportunities to win against the Crusaders (1-2), but were unable to take advantage. The Redhawks outshot Valpo 15-5 and held possession for most of the first-half. In the 27th minute, a penalty against senior midfielder Jess Bronke in the box allowed Valparaiso freshman midfielder Rita Craven to score a penalty kick for the first goal of the game. Valpo freshman forward April Cronin made the lead 2-0 with an unassisted goal in the 53rd minute after a broken play from Miami. Despite outshooting Valpo 9-2 in the second half, MU was unable to overcome to deficit.

After a day off, the Redhawks traveled to Evansville (1-3) on Sunday. A slow start found the 'Hawks down 2-0 after 18 minutes. Evansville freshman forward Sarah Osinski scored in the 13th minute, and freshman defender Olivia Shafer pegged in a header off a corner kick in the 18th minute. MU rebounded in the 69th minute when freshman midfielder Korrie Sauder scored on a cross from junior midfielder Stephanie Dillon. The goal rejuvenated the offense, but the Purple Aces' defense was too strong and stopped all five of MU's second-half shots.

The RedHawks play Wright State in Dayton, Ohio on Friday and Florida International University on Sunday in Oxford for Senior Day.