Miami blanks Davenport

By Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University women's hockey team is still undefeated after it posted its second and third consecutive shutouts. The RedHawks downed Davenport University 5-0 and 7-0. The RedHawks (8-0) find themselves at the top of the CCWHA, while the Panthers (6-2) are now in second place.

"This weekend was a really big turning point for us," freshman defender Becca Senden said. "We kept taking it to them, despite some low points, and we never stopped. They're a difficult team to deal with. With a big tournament coming up, we need to pick it up. This was a good team to work on, working on the little things and competing for 60 minutes."

Following a scoreless first period for both teams Friday night, the second featured a Miami offensive explosion as it reeled off five goals in just over 10 minutes. Junior center Haley Williams opened the scoring at the 3:47 mark and found the back of the net again at 11:46. Also picking up goals were Senden at 6:22, sophomore right wing Rachael Booth at 11:31 and sophomore forward Jordan Hanson rounded out the scoring with a goal at 13:53.

The third period was as tightly contested as the first, with the teams getting about five minutes each on the power play.

Williams led the Red and White in points with two goals and one assist, while Senden, Booth, sophomore right wing Cassidy Guthrie and freshman forward Alyssa Vissali each recorded two points in the game. Sophomore goaltender Emalee Wills picked up the shutout as the 'Hawks had 31 more shots on goal than Davenport.

Mooney came up big for Miami in the second game as she notched three goals in the first and second period, while Williams picked up two goals in the third. Also picking up multiple points were Booth with a goal and an assist and sophomore center Katie Augustine with three assists.

Freshman goaltender Carly VanOrden stopped all 11 shots she saw. The 'Hawks dominated puck possession as they had 42 shots on goal for the game. The team went 1-4 on the power play, while stymying the Panthers on the penalty kill by not allowing a score on any of the six opportunities.

It was quite chippy in the third period, as seven penalties were assessed as well as an ejection.

"It was a good weekend for us," head coach Scott Hicks said. "We outplayed Davenport for most of the weekend and we're getting more and more confident. It's always good to get shutouts. We showed that we're a tough team and we didn't back down. I'm proud of our team. We can build off of this emotion, after rallying [in the third period] and it'll catapult us forward and we can keep rolling."

The RedHawks hit the road Nov. 7-9 as they take on the University of Minnesota, the University of Massachusetts and the University of Denver.