Miami baseball sweeps Toledo

Alicia Hogl (left) smacks her game tying home run, while Jeff Carroll (right) connects on one of his six hits on the weekend.

Dan Kukla

The RedHawks (11-9, 3-0 MAC) were flying high this weekend after opening their Mid-American Conference schedule with a three-game sweep of the Toledo Rockets (6-9, 0-3 MAC).

Solid starting pitching backed by an opportunistic offense was the key to Miami's three victories as the 'Hawks overwhelmed their opponents on both offense and defense.

After the series opener was rained out Friday night, starting pitchers John Ely and Connor Graham each threw gems in their respective games of Saturday's doubleheader. Ely picked up the win in the first game, pitching 8.2 innings and allowing just two earned runs on nine hits.

Graham followed Ely's gem with one of his own in the second game of the doubleheader, going eight innings while allowing just one earned run on five hits.

Sunday afternoon was a different story, as the RedHawks were forced to out muscle the Rockets in an offensive battle, eventually winning 9-6.

The series sweep was critical for the Red and White, allowing it to get off to a perfect start in the MAC.

"This is when the season really starts," Ely said. "You get your other games in but these are the ones you really want to win because your main goal is to be conference champions and then on from there."

Ely and Graham set the tone for the weekend with their dominant performances. Their ability to go deep into their games allowed Miami to rest a bullpen that had been used extensively during its previous games.

Between last Tuesday's 14-inning marathon against Indiana State and Wednesday's battle with Xavier, the 'Hawks had used a total of 11 different pitchers. Faced with the always tiring task of playing a double header, fatigue was sure to play a factor.

"It's a long day, everybody knows that," Ely said. "It's tough but at the same time usually everybody is pretty capable of staying up. We've got a lot of fiery guys on our squad."

Nevertheless, the performances of Ely and Graham proved to be more important than many had originally thought, as Sunday's game turned into a battle of the bullpens.

Starting pitcher Jeff Day was only able to go three innings for Miami, while Toledo's starter Todd Thomas was knocked out after getting just one out in the ballgame. He allowed six earned runs on six hits against the 'Hawks.

Because the RedHawk relievers received rest on a day that usually produces an intense work load, they were able to come into Sunday's match up and hold the Rocket's bats at bay.

Chris Niro relieved Day and pitched two innings to earn the win for Miami.

He was followed by senior right-hander Bailey Pratt who pitched 3.1 shutout innings, while earning his second save of the year.

Despite the fact that both of Saturday's starters were seemingly used longer in favor of the bullpen, 'Hawks Head Coach Dan Simonds insisted it was not a conscious decision.

"Even in a doubleheader you just take each single game one at a time," Simonds said. "We might have extended John and Connor a little bit but quite honestly they were pretty close to their pitch counts. They just threw strikes and kept their pitch counts down; that's what took them into the eighth and ninth innings."

To compliment Miami's pitching was Miami's relentless offensive attack that never took a rest during the series.

In Saturday's nightcap the 'Hawks used a seven-run eighth inning to catapult them to the victory. Senior first baseman Jeff Carroll capped off the impressive rally with a base hit that scored runners from second and third. Carroll collected three hits in his four at-bats in the game with three RBI's and a run scored.

The offensive barrage continued Sunday, as the RedHawks scored six runs in the first inning of Sunday's contest.

This time the charge was led by sophomore Eric Darlage, who hit a two-run double that inning, and later hit his first homer of the season to give him four RBI's on the day.

Miami has now won seven of its last eight games, heading into its next game which is Tuesday at Dayton. The RedHawks will return home Wednesday to take on Eastern Kentucky at 6 p.m.