Miami alumnus provides specialty wine to residents with a finer palate

Photo by Sammie Miller, Community Editor

Chris Hensey, a 1993 Miami alumnus, is crazy about all things wine. After taking a "geography of wine" class during his senior year, he fell in love with wine and decided he wanted to make a career out of selling it. Fifteen years ago, Hensey got his chance when he bought Main Street Gourmet - located right below Pachinko's Bar - and stocked the shop's shelves with specialty wines and craft beer. It was a business that had not yet been established in Oxford, one that is now enjoyed by students and community members with a finer taste for their beverages of choice.

Hensey decided to stay in Oxford upon graduating for several reasons. He likes the idea of owning a small specialty wine shop in a small town, one with a lively and enriching community. Hensey also enjoys teaching classes about wine to retired people at the university. He leads a tour each year in Germany and Switzerland where he also gets to teach about wine and its production. The shop itself is tucked away on Main Street and, aside from offering customers a wide array of craft beer and specialty wine, they also sell specialty coffee and food items to go with the wine and beer. The shop accommodates Oxford's taste for fine wine by doing special orders for its customers. Hensey says that if there is a particular wine that they do not already offer, he will do everything in his power to track it down and make it available for the customer.