Miami Access Initiative begins to take shape...

Andrew Miller

More than 1,300 new computers: $1.6 million.

One new Apple MacBook from the Miami University Bookstore: $1,550.

Forty-five computers for incoming students with financial need: priceless ... literally.

Due to Miami University's recent purchase of Apple and Dell computer technology to upgrade its Oxford, Hamilton, and Middletown campus technology, together both companies donated 45 laptops for students with financial need.

The new laptops will go to incoming first-year students who fall under Miami's Access Initiative program, which will, starting fall 2007, provide tuition and fees for qualifying Ohio residents whose family's income is less than $35,000 a year.

Robert Howard, director for support services and partnerships with Information Technology (IT) Services, said the laptops will help these incoming students better adjust to Miami.

"We want to make sure that students with financial needs not only have equal access to Miami but also equal access to resources and technology once they get here," Howard said.

According to Chuck Knepfle, director of student financial aid, the laptops will be given out just like a scholarship. They will be awarded to students based on financial need, and students will be able to keep the computers long term. Knepfle said Miami tentatively expects around 200 students to receive aid through the Miami Access Initiative, so the 45 computers will go to students with the greatest need.

"There will be a pretty big difference in need between the neediest Access students and those who are somewhat better off," Knepfle said.

Katie Brinkman, director for support services with IT Services, was excited that some of the Access students - those benefiting from the initiative - would have this resource.

"We were thrilled when we heard about the computers," Brinkman said. "It was a goal of ours to have laptops available for these students."

The donation, which included 30 laptops from Dell and 15 more from Apple, was part of a comprehensive university-wide computer purchase IT service dubbed "the big buy."

And the 45 free computers weren't the only advantage of buying in bulk. According to Howard, Miami was able to increase its purchasing power by 35 percent because the bulk purchase received a discount, which translated into 450 more computers for the same price and savings of more than half a million dollars.

Howard also said the purchase was the first of its nature at Miami. In the past, each department has been responsible for purchasing its own computers, and Howard said this has created disparities in technology between different programs.

"We have faculty with computers that are six or seven years old ... and it's not right that these teachers have to do their job with 'computer-sauruses,'" Howard said.

For example, Steven Beitzel, chief engineer for the department of communication, said faculty in his department have been asking the university for new computers for three years now and are currently working with some computers that arrived in 2000. Beitzel was excited about the purchase because a communication computer lab will receive 21 new Apple desktops.

"It will make a tremendous difference," Beitzel said. "Especially in classes that deal with media."

One potential downside is that the purchase came before Windows and Macintosh released new operating systems (Vista for Dell and Leopard for Apple), meaning that the newly purchase computers won't have the latest operating systems. However, Howard believes that Miami will be able to upgrade software on the new computers starting next year, once it becomes available.