Letters to the editor

Miami should bring bus route to Oxford

I checked Greyhound's Web site for a list of Greyhound stations in Ohio and West Virginia on Halloween. It didn't have anything listed for Oxford. That puts an undue hardship on out-of-towners that want to attend or visit Miami University but don't have cars of their own or can't afford to share rides.

I say Miami should: 1) buy an old bus or two off Greyhound and/or its connecting carriers, 2) have students at vocational-technical high schools fix and paint said bus or buses in exchange for job experiences 3) use said bus or buses for a once-a-day route from Cincinnati to Mt. Healthy to Greenhills to Fairfield to Hamilton to Oxford to Seven Mile to Middletown to Carlisle to Franklin to Springboro to Miamisburg to Centerville to Bellbrook to Beavercreek to Fairborn to Dayton International Airport to Dayton and back, 4) Use another similar bus for a route going the opposite way, 5) Have the truck stops outside Cincinnati and Dayton fix said bus or buses whilst out of use, 6) Have as many of the bus stops as possible at food stores open at least whilst the bus stops there, if not around the clock and 7) Make arrangements with local charter bus companies to handle the routes whilst said bus or buses should be in operation but are out of operation.

It seems to me like that's easier and more efficient than ads in the paper for rides between Miami and elsewhere.

It almost seems to me like it's easier and more efficient than colleges, the main Ohio University included, offering van services from colleges to elsewhere.

Cincinnati and Dayton are the only two places I know of on that list with Greyhound service now.

I mention all this because my cousin from just outside Columbus went to Miami but didn't seem to have his own transportation in those days.

Josh MitchellOil City, PA