Letters to the editor

Morals must be based on sound reasoning

I'm writing in response to the article "Speaker challenges negative perceptions of homosexuality" written by Jenna Kruse in the Nov. 13 issue.

As a Miami University alumnus who became a Christian as a student and who has wrestled with many of the tough issues and questions facing believers today, I want to address only two statements made in the article, the first by speaker John Corvino and the second by student and Spectrum co-chair Matt Menickelly. I am not making an argument for or against the morality of homosexuality in my response to these statements. Rather, I am challenging readers to think critically about what they believe, what they hear other people say and the assumptions underneath it all.

Corvino said, "You do not choose those you're attracted to. We wish we could turn our romantic feelings on and off, but if it doesn't work that way for heterosexuals, why should it matter for homosexuals?"

Assuming I have no control upon my attraction toward and romantic feelings for others, is it okay for me to leave my wife for another woman I just happen to find more appealing? Is it acceptable for an employee to date a co-worker to whom he or she is attracted even if it's against company policy? Is it appropriate for a middle-aged adult to act upon his or her desire for a minor although it's illegal?

Certainly not. To the contrary, individuals, corporations and the law expect people to control and restrain their feelings and impulses. The point is that we set healthy, helpful boundaries for our affections, not for the sake of limiting love and romance, but for the sake of protecting and nurturing our relationships. Can you imagine what the world would be like if the human will was so weak and instinctive passion was so strong as to discount or remove entirely expectations of personal responsibility, commitment and safety?

Senior co-chair of Spectrum Matt Menickelly said, "You can be moral and queer."

The issue here is the origin or foundation of morality. On what basis can a person claim that homosexuality is moral, immoral or outside of morality altogether? If it's simply a person's opinion, then that person's morals are no more applicable to you or me than any of his or her other personal preferences. If it's law or policy, then it's no more stable than the winds of legislation, court decisions and executive orders. If it's cultural, then it's only as true as it would be in urban China, tribal Africa and rural Indiana. If it's transcendent in love, peace, equality, justice or any other ideal or abstraction, then it's only as strong as that person's ability to explain why and on what grounds his or her understanding of such transcendent concepts is superior to those with different opinions in Ohio, America and across the globe. The point is that if someone can't provide sufficient grounds for his or her position, then that position itself has nothing on which to stand.

As The Miami Student reported, Corvino himself stressed it is important to make moral judgments but to also have sound reasons for those judgments. I hope that every student takes that statement to heart.

Scott O'DonohoeMiami University Alumnusscott.odonohoe@gmail.com

Latin honors changes unfair to class of '11

When I began college, I set a personal goal for myself. I wanted to graduate from Miami University summa cum laude, and in my two and half years here I have worked extremely hard to maintain a GPA high enough to meet the requirements. But now, with Miami's new system of cum laude requirements, I could theoretically graduate without any honors!

How is this possible? Rather than basing the Latin honors off one's GPA, as is the current system, the new system sorts people by percentages. The top 2 percent will graduate summa cum laude, the next 5 percent after them will graduate magna cum laude and finally the next 10 percent will graduate cum laude. This new system ensures that no more than 17 percent will graduate with any kind of Latin honors. To make the playing field more "level" Miami will divide students into groups based on their school, and divide College of Arts and Sciences into three cognate groups. Other issues such as double majoring between two schools or cognates must also be dealt with, but that's another subject for another letter.

The problem is not the change. I understand the theoretical idea behind the new requirements. Perhaps the administration feels there are issues with grade inflation, "too many" people graduating with honors, etc. The problem is changing the criteria for a class that is more than halfway through its time at Miami. It is unfair and unjust to deny students the honors they anticipated receiving because the higher-ups had a sudden "paradigm change." If Miami wishes to alter its cum laude requirements, make the change with the next incoming class so that people know what to expect for the next four years. Do not punish the hard work of the class of 2011.

Emily Philips-Rothphilipea@muohio.edu