Letters to the editor

Textbook publishers are relient on professor choice

The Feb. 12 article, "House attempts to decrease price of textbooks," fails to accurately describe the realities of the textbook market. Publishers understand student concerns about college costs. They have responded to these concerns by offering more textbook price and product options than ever before. These choices include abbreviated editions, no-frills editions, three-hole punch editions, books online by the chapter and e-books by the thousands.

Your article stated that the College Opportunity and Affordability Act would require publishers to promote custom textbooks. Publishers already offer custom books, which allow professors to choose the exact material they want for their students. It is important to remember that faculty-not publishers-choose the textbooks and supplemental materials they believe will most improve student success and learning.

Publishers deliver the materials as ordered. Publishers go to great lengths to make faculty fully aware of all textbook options and of the corresponding price information. Faculties have access to price and product information through publishing marketing representatives and online resources.

A quick Internet search using a textbook's ISBN (International Standard Book Number) or a text's title and author will yield hundreds of price and product information sources. In regards to the "bundling'' of textbooks, an overwhelming majority-86 percent-of instructors require or recommend supplemental materials to ensure their students succeed.

To meet students' educational needs, publishers work closely with faculty to customize learning materials that are specifically designed for each individual classroom. Still, students already can purchase "bundle" components a la carte directly from publishers' Web sites.

In the end, publishers share the common goal of helping students succeed, and they are committed to working with students, parents, faculty and institutions to make this goal a reality.

Stacy S. SkellyAssistant Director for Higher Education Association of American Publisherssskelly@publishers.org

Obama overcomes other candidates' shortcomings

As the Democratic contest will be decided in Ohio and Texas, only Senator Barack Obama (D-Ill.) has the conviction and ability to transcend the wickedness of American politics. The financial system is decaying, our healthcare system is failing, our military is unrestrained and our education system perpetuates injustice. These dire times require a candidate that can make us believe in the American

system and the power of human ingenuity to solve problems. Obama allows us to believe in a meritocracy, where our president is not only articulate and charismatic, but also emblematic of the American Dream. While the conservatives agonize over the

deficiencies of Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) and romanticize the Ronald Reagan years, the opportunities to resurrect the nation will likely fall to the Democratic nominee.

Obama has become a messianic figure-but he is far from infallible. Despite his lofty rhetoric and inexperience, his ascension would be emblematic of a new order in traditional bipartisan politics. The Republicans will target him as a radical liberal, drug user and na've idealist, but those objections will be more obligatory than heartfelt. McCain is a member of the Old Order, and just as Nixon before him, he fails to invigorate the conservative base. Although the prospect of Bill Clinton assuming duties as the First Man is almost too enticing to ignore, the presidency of Obama would offer the nation a dynamic man with a different last name.

Josh Dahndahnjn@muohio.edu