Letter to the Editor | Despite opposition, Bishop Woods revamp seeks to be a positive change for Miami community

I am writing this letter to help clarify any misunderstandings that might have occurred regarding the changes being planned for Bishop Woods. The objective of the Bishop Woods plan, as outlined by Vincent Cirrito, who is Miami's landscape architect, is to "continue the transition of this woode-lot into a distinct landscape in the center of campus life that welcomes students, allows connections with nature, is safe throughout the day and season, educationally inspiring and a place to reflect while protecting the native species of trees, plants, birds and animals that call Bishop Woods home."

As chairperson of the Miami University Natural Areas Committee, I wholeheartedly support this objective. While the management of Bishop Woods is the responsibility of the Physical Facilities Department, not the Natural Areas, Cirrito has asked our committee for input and has implemented a number of our suggestions into the plan.

There will be those that, for a variety of reasons, might object to parts of the plan. This is understandable on a project of this dimension. Some might not like lighted pathways, preferring a more "natural" look but the objective for a safe environment can't be ignored.

Some might not want any grassy areas, but the objective is to encourage students to come and "just be" rather than just using the woods as a corridor on the way to class.

In conclusion, I fully support the objectives of the Bishop Woods plan. We are fortunate to have Cirrito, who has such fine skills, knowledge and integrity in leading this effort.

Douglas H. Taylor

Chair, Miami University

Bachelor Reserve

taylordh@miamioh.edu