Letter from student reveals acts; apologizes to community

Effective Wednesday morning, April 8, 2015, I have officially withdrawn as a student from Miami University. I believe that my presence on campus is a distraction and brings unwanted media attention to Miami University. Most importantly, I did not live up to Miami's Ethics Code of Love and Honor.

I was always taught that when you make a mistake, you need to own it, apologize and try to make it right. I apologize to the entire Miami campus, its students and faculty, for a bunch of really bad decisions that I made on Saturday night. Please know that these actions are not a reflection of my true character, and that I am profoundly sorry for each and every one.

I wrote one, and only one, statement on a public bulletin board in Wells dorm. I wrote: "Midgets on May 2nd Paquio fight. 1. Hold my beer. 2. Blow jobs." I don't know exactly why I wrote that - it was stupid - I saw something similar written on a flier in my dorm and I chose to write it. I am truly sorry I wrote it - it was offensive, lewd and disrespectful. This was my mistake. I wish I didn't write it, but I did. I own it, and I apologize.

I stood by and did nothing when someone else wrote repugnant, hateful words, phrases, and graffiti on the bulletin board. I did nothing to stop this behavior. I was wrong. Let me be clear: I am not a racist or a bigot. Each of us has a responsibility to stand up to bigotry and discrimination, be it gender, sexual, religious or racial. I didn't do anything, but I should have. For this I am truly sorry. I clumsily tried to take responsibility and make it right after the fact with the police and with the Wells' resident assistants on Saturday night, but I failed.

By sharing my mistakes, I hope that it may help others make the right decisions.

Will Armour

Former Miami Student