Leadership conference speaker to cover civic engagement

Rachel Perron

Author, renowned speaker and youth advocate, Paul Rogat Loeb, is set to ask Miami University students if they have the "soul of a citizen."

Miami's largest leadership conference, the Perlmutter Leadership Conference, will host Loeb as its keynote speaker Sunday at the Shriver Center. Registration for the event will begin at 12:30 p.m., with Loeb to begin tentatively at 3:30 p.m.

Loeb will give a presentation based on his fourth book, Soul of a Citizen: Living with Conviction in a Cynical Time, before the conference's 500 students who've applied for attendance.

Besides Soul of a Citizen, Loeb has written four books also centered on his 30-year study of citizen involvement, including Generation at the Crossroads: Apathy and Action on the American Campus and his latest, The Impossible May Take a Little While: A Citizen's Guide to Hope in a Time of Fear. His books and speeches have turned the heads of many publications, such as The Associated Press, New York Times and Time Magazine, which have all covered Loeb's crusade for active citizenship and analysis of contemporary society.

In 2002, he inspired the American Association of State Colleges and Universities to found the American Democracy Project, which works with 200 public universities to promote civic engagement. He is also a popular advocate for young adults, delivering speeches to more than 400 colleges and universities.

However, despite these credentials, Loeb was not the first keynote speaker chosen for the event, according to Erica Johnson, co-adviser to the conference. Loeb's name was not even mentioned until the Perlmutter's initial presenter became unavailable. It was then that the planning committee turned to campus offices for speaker suggestions, of which Loeb was an early suggestion from both the Office of Community Engagement and Service and the Harry T. Wilks Leadership Institute.

The runner-up lecturer, however, is far from a disappointment in the eyes of the planning committee.

"He is a much more nationally known speaker than (the planning committee) anticipated having," Johnson said. "And it's a huge opportunity to have someone of his caliber speak (at the conference)."

Since Loeb's message aligns with Miami's mission statement of commitment to community service and informed citizens, the conference-supported initially by the Office of Student Activities and Leadership and Perlmutter endowments-received extra funds from university grants to cover some of the unanticipated costs.

Loeb's Miami-friendly presentation will strongly encourage student civic involvement and will offer advice on overcoming the various obstacles they may face. He also will explore the reasons certain citizens become active in their community while others abstain, which includes addressing a range of social perspectives.

Prior to the keynote, conference-goers will participate in breakout sessions focused on Loeb's theme of civic engagement. Conference coordinator, J.S. Bragg, said these workshops were prepared by Loeb along with faculty and students and are intended to unlock potential for new student leadership in Miami's community.

"It's the beginning of the year and (students) have adjusted to classes," said Ellen Conrad, a sophomore who plans on attending the conference. "So it's the perfect time to get involved, especially for taking on leadership roles."