Kroger unveils expanded store, offers new food services

The Oxford Kroger recently added 4,000 square feet, including an expanded produce department and sushi shop.  The changes were made based on a survey of 200 Kroger Plus Card holders in the area.
The Oxford Kroger recently added 4,000 square feet, including an expanded produce department and sushi shop. The changes were made based on a survey of 200 Kroger Plus Card holders in the area.

Maggie Striebich, For The Miami Student

The Oxford Kroger recently added 4,000 square feet, including an expanded produce department and sushi shop. The changes were made based on a survey of 200 Kroger Plus Card holders in the area. (Scott Allison | THE MIAMI STUDENT)

The renovation project at the Oxford Kroger has expanded the local grocery chain from 5,000 to 9,000 square feet. As the project nears completion, patrons will find a number of changes to the grocery.

A coffee shop, an expanded produce department, a sushi shop, a bistro and an olive bar are among the newly added and developed amenities at Kroger. Market research conducted from 200 Kroger Plus Card holders in the area spurred the changes.

"These surveys hit each economic group to see what people were interested in doing to the store," Ed Begley, Oxford Kroger manager, said. "We hope to touch each demographic group (with the changes)."

Josh, a meat and seafood employee who did not want his last name to be revealed, said the changes in his department are "a little bigger and a little better."

He also said the larger variety of seafood is an improvement.

"There's a wider variety in the number of products (flowers) we offer now," said Dana Banks, floral manager. "(Now with the floral section moved to the front of the store) there will be more impulse buying."

Banks said the larger floral shop will also help accommodate customers during Valentine's Day.

The addition of a small kitchen appliance center and an apparel department makes this Kroger branch in direct competition with the Wal-Mart Supercenter located a mile away.

"We offer so many items that Wal-Mart doesn't," Begley said.

Sources from Wal-Mart refused to comment on the subject.

"I like the food much better (at Kroger)," sophomore Shanna Fair said. "There's not much difference in the price either … the produce is better too."

Fair shopped at her hometown Kroger in Sidney, Ohio, so she wanted to continue shopping at the Oxford Kroger.

"I normally just shop at Wal-Mart because I know where it is," first-year Julie Havrilla said. "I was there (Kroger) during construction, and the building seemed easier to navigate and everything seem more accessible … I might return."

Begley has high hopes for the impact the expansion will have.

"We hope to see a 25 percent increase in business," Begley said.

Begley said the changes have already shown significant improvement in Kroger's sales.

At 4:20 p.m. Tuesday, police stopped a vehicle behind the mobile home park on College Corner Pike.

Police reportedly saw Christina Yates, of Oxford, flee from her motor vehicle into her home.

According to police reports, the officer knew Yates had an outstanding warrant for her arrest for a probation violation in Eaton. Police knocked on the door of her home and Yates refused to come out. Police forced entry into her home before she was charged with resisting arrest and was transported to Butler County Jail.

At 6:45 p.m. Monday, officers spoke with Miami University senior Matthew Felner who reportedly said someone broke three individual window pains at Phi Kappa Tau fraternity house around 4 a.m. Sunday. According to police reports, Felner said three individual panes on two separate windows of the west side of the building near the parking lot were broken. The damage reportedly totaled around $2,200.

At 1 p.m. Tuesday, a Walgreens customer reportedly went to fill a prescription for Alprazolam, an anxiety and depression medication, but was refused the refill because the prescription could not be filled early. According to police reports, Walgreens pharmacists said the customer picked up the prescription, but the customer said he hadn't.

Someone who knew the customer got the prescription without his knowledge, according to police. Police are investigating Walgreens surveillance for more information.

There are no suspects at this time.

At 3:45 p.m. Tuesday, an Oxford resident reported to police her 16-year-old niece, of whom she has custody, left school after her first class, between 8:30 and 9 a.m., and has not returned since. The girl attends Talawanda High School.