John Dolibois passes away, leaves legacy of service and passion

A snapshot of John Dolibois during World War II. Dolibois served as Miami's vice president for university relations and is the namesake of the Luxembourg program.

Reis Thebault, News Editor

John Dolibois ('42), the namesake of Miami's European Luxembourg program, passed away today in Cincinnati, Ohio. He was 95 years old.

"It is difficult to adequately describe John and his accomplishments," President David Hodge said.

A native of Luxembourg, Dolibois served as an intelligence officer for the U.S. Army during World War II and the Nuremburg War Trials.

"The role he played at Nuremberg is amazing," Hodge said.

He was the last surviving interrogator of some of the highest-ranking Nazi officials, including Herman Goering, Julius Streicher and Rudolf Hess.

After his service, Dolibois returned to Miami and served as vice president for university relations. Upon his retirement, Ronald Reagan appointed Dolibois the Ambassador to Luxembourg, a position he held from 1981 to 1985.

Dolibois was instrumental in the founding of the John E. Dolibois European Center in Luxembourg.

"His passion for Miami was combined with his extraordinary humor and ability to tell stories," Hodge said. "He seemed to remember everyone and everything. He was quite simply one of the most incredible people I have ever known."