Janus Forum brings presidential race to Oxford

By Dmitriy Kizhikin, For The Miami Student

On Wednesday, Miami University will host another Janus Forum in which students can ask the guest speakers James Carville, Ann Compton and Alex Castellanos questions about the 2016 presidential race.

Since February 2013, the Department of Political Science and Office of Diversity Affairs have hosted Janus Forums on relevant topics biannually. When looking for possible speakers, the executive board looks for more than just anyone who is available.

"We don't just want a pre-written speech," said Patrick Haney, chair of the Department of Political Science. "We want to find people who are open to speaking, people who embrace the spirit of the event."

When picking a theme, timeliness is one of the most important factors. The presidential race is especially timely this year, and speakers from both parties can give insight into the race and the election process.

Before and during the event, students can submit questions on Twitter or via a Google Doc. Senior Greta Hallberg, student moderator of this particular Janus Forum, will introduce the speakers and ask the questions.

Hallberg has attended every Janus Forum in the past and feels prepared to host this year.

"Each of the speakers has five minutes to talk, which isn't that long of a time, and then I'll start with some premade questions from the board," said Hallberg. "Then I'll look through the Google Doc, where the board helps sort everything and ask the students' questions."

The forum's main goal is to increase political discourse on campus. The hope, according to Haney, is that the students will be more informed and inclined to get involved in the political system, even through simply voting.

"Political talk and involvement is a key part of a healthy and lively college campus," said Haney.

The speakers themselves are members of the three main branches of the election process - James Carville of the Democratic Party, Ann Compton representing the media from ABC News and Alex Castellanos of the Republican Party.

With informed speakers and direct involvement from the students, Haney and Hallberg hope to spark interest in politics on campus.

"For a lot of people, it's the first time they are able to vote," said Hallberg. "And it is important to be an educated voter."

For students both informed and uninformed on the presidential race, the Janus Forum is an opportunity to become involved with the political scene.