Irresponsible drinking behavior must stop

Editorial Editor

Miami University students are on the radar again for bad drinking behavior. According to the Oxford Police Department, there has been a large increase in the number of underage drinking arrests.

There have been 102 arrests made since the beginning of August, compared to 57 arrests made during the same time frame last year. The students committing the violations are primarily 18 and 19 years old.

The editorial board of The Miami Student finds these statistics upsetting. Miami University should represent a place of high standards with students making responsible decisions about alcohol consumption.

The excessive drinking habits of underage students are irresponsible and could negatively impact both the image of the university and the individual student.

Employers pay attention to how universities are perceived, and the activities students engage in while in school could affect future opportunities.

The overwhelming increase in negligent and reckless behavior is disturbing and disrespectful to the university and community, especially in addition to the events at sorority formals that took place in the spring.

Students must understand their limit and recognize the value of attending a school with a highly regarded reputation. Underage students consuming alcohol and acting offensively tarnish this reputation.

It is also important that upperclassmen serve as good examples by making responsible decisions. The editorial board does not want to see students get suspended or ruin potential opportunities because of foolish behavior.

Ultimately, Miami University students represent the school at all times. It is important that this representation is one of respect and shows responsibility.