International student spotlight: Alfred Yang, Made in China™

By Angela Hatcher, Senior Staff Writer

In late August, Alfred Yang sat in the rec room of Clawson Hall and described to his newest friends, a hodgepodge of the first-years from his Made@Miami group and other international students, the tattoo he wanted to get to celebrate his arrival in America.

"I want it right here," he said, pointing to a large spot on his right forearm. "It will be a barcode, like one you can scan, and above that will say 'Made in China' with the trademark symbol."

The students who crowded around Alfred burst into a fit of laughter and dispersed to finish playing pool and ping pong. He smiled his 'trademark' Alfred Yang smile - a genuine and infectious grin - proud that he could make people so happy.

He was serious about the tattoo. But it's second semester already and his right forearm remains inkless.

"It's too expensive," he said.

He'll get the tattoo of his dreams when the prices are more reasonable.

It's likely you've run into Alfred once or twice on campus. If you haven't met Alfred Yang yet, you probably will.

He is notorious for his classic 'Alfred' introduction, approaching strangers as they head off to class with a firm handshake and a loud, "Hello Miss!" or "Hello Sir, how are you doing today?"

When one of his friends says something that surprises him, his response is almost always, "Oh my goodness."

He loves letting people know that he is a "businessman."

His friends refer to his unique statements and exclamations as "Alfred-isms."

"I thought Alfred was just the boldest person I had ever met," said Troy Myree, a fellow first-year from Alfred's Made@Miami group. "I aspired to be him."

Many of Alfred's friends said they feel the same way. During Welcome Week, Alfred had been moved in and settled for nearly 14 days. So, on Move-In Day, he stood outside his residence hall - Thomson Hall - and helped other students move in with the biggest smile on his face.

He is an 18-year-old accounting major and serial networker, making connections with everyone and anyone on campus.

During the Made@Miami weekend, his business casual attire stood out in the sea of pastel shorts, Sperry's and sundresses. He carried a briefcase around with him. Passersby assumed he was a professor, not a new student.

After a dinner reception during the program, Alfred walked right up to President Hodge, shook his hand and introduced himself.

"He said he felt humbled to shake hands with Miami's President," said Savannah Boerger, Alfred's Made@Miami peer leader.

But she also remembers thinking that Hodge was the lucky one.

"He immediately stood out to me as someone who made everyone laugh and feel welcome, even though he was new to Miami, himself," Boerger said.

Alfred fit in immediately and quickly became comfortable with life in Oxford, Ohio, despite being 6,750 miles away from home.

Alfred was born and raised in Beijing, China. He went to Malvern College, a British school where he took classes six days a week, and sometimes his parents signed him up for an extra class on Sundays.

He prefers going to school just five days a week.

Alfred chose his major for the job opportunities it could potentially yield. He was never the best at biology or chemistry, but he was always good with numbers.

"It's that Chinese talent," he said, smiling mischievously.

Alfred was quick to adapt to and adopt American culture. He learned every slang word, asked lots of questions and was never afraid to talk to strangers.

One of the first slang words his friends taught him was "basic," which quickly became one of his favorites.

"I am a social person. I think this presence is good on campus because I am willing to talk to other people," he said. "And the people here are so nice."

Alfred works at First Stop and was promoted to student manager this semester. His two best friends on campus are Griffin Caldwell, his roommate, and Ty Larson, a fellow student manager at First Stop.

"They are gorgeous people," Alfred said. "I call them Brother Ty and Brother Griffin. They are like my family here."

What Alfred likes the least about life at Miami is the lack of quality dining options.

"Western people don't know how to treat food," he said.

His favorite place to eat is the Chinese restaurant Uptown under the Quizno's sign. He claims it's the only joint that sells authentic Chinese food - a taste of home.

Alfred's Chinese name, his birth name, is Xiyuan. He chose the name Alfred when he first came to America.

"It's been too long, I can barely remember why," he said. "It's either named after the Alfred in Batman or Alfred the Great in England."