Humans of Oxford | Magda Orlander: Finding a second home

By Phoebe Meyers, For The Miami Student

"I thought house parties were a movie invention. When I came here and saw people actually partied like that, I told my friends back home, 'The house parties are real!'"

Third-year social justice and individualized studies double major, Magda Orlander, came to Miami from their home country, Luxembourg, freshman year. You won't find Magda at those house parties, though.

"I go to Western Wednesday every fucking week," Magda said.

Western Wednesday isn't like country night at Brick Street. It's an informal gathering of students from the individualized studies program. The friends sit in a crowded circle outside Skipper's, sharing pitchers of cheap beer under the red lights.

"People here are like, 'Don't talk about politics at the bar,' but I talk about God and the world," Magda said. "I carve out space to go there because it gives me so much life. The people there aren't trying to fix me. They just hold my hand."

Magda is noticeable, with frequently changing dyed hair, slightly towering height and outgoing personality. Magda is also well-known for their involvement in many student organizations, especially being the President of the Diversity Affairs Council.

Magda was crucial in introducing gender-neutral bathrooms to Miami, in large part due to their life as a transgender student. Magda is very open about their identity. With visibility, however, comes danger for many trans people.

"I'm a little bit reckless with it, but I'm either safe or I'm honest about who I am," Magda said.

While college campuses are generally safer for non-gender conforming people than cities, this isn't always the case. But Magda believes visibility is worth the risk, as it can bring community.

"I'm trying to signal out to other people who might be isolated, 'Hey it's okay. It's not easy, but you can be who you are.'"

Many people view universities as homes away from home, but sometimes risk is needed to find those second families. Magda, whose family has been homeless in the past, cherishes those who sit by them every Wednesday.

"I couldn't do this alone. I just couldn't," Magda said.