Honor Society recognizes Miami Greek life for high grade point average

Charlie Nau

Miami University's Greek chapters have been honored for spring and fall 2008 by Gamma Sigma Alpha National Academic Greek Honor Society (GSA), which recognizes schools for the exemplary academic performances of fraternity and sorority members.

April Robles, vice president of student affairs in the Cliff Alexander Office of Fraternal Life, said the qualifications for Miami's chapter include junior or senior status along with a 3.5 GPA or higher and Greek membership.

Founded in 1989 at the University of Southern California, Robles said GSA has chartered 200 chapters and initiates more than 2,000 Greek scholars each year.

Although the number of initiates may seem large, Robles said the society employs a very selective system.

"The way that I understood it, this honor roll represents the top 5 percent of the campus fraternities and sororities in North America," Robles said.

According to Robles, this is a very significant number. However, the honor of being recognized as an elite group of fraternities and sororities academically is worth something much more than numbers on a piece of paper to members of Miami's Greek community.

"It's great that our Greek chapters are represented academically like this," said sophomore Beta Theta Pi member Ian Wright. "It helps break stereotypes that we have. It makes our school look really good, too."

Robles said this is not the first time Miami has been honored by GSA.

"We have made the honor roll in the past," Robles said.

According to Scott Irlbacher, assistant director for the Cliff Alexander Office of Fraternal Life, the previous induction, along with the current induction, provides opportunities for the chapters at Miami that would otherwise be overlooked.

"It's an opportunity for students of fraternities and sororities to be recognized for excellent scholarship and achievement in academics," Irlbacher said.

Greek students' excellence in academics doesn't seem to come from the eligibility requirements that one must meet to be an active member.

"I think that we're on par with a lot of the other campuses in terms with eligibility requirements to join," Robles said. "I think we do well academically because students are also trying to figure out and prioritize better their co-curricular activities along with their academics."

The result is encouragement for students to excel in all aspects, Robles said.

"I think a lot of students also want their chapter to strive to make sure they maintain good standings," Robles said. "They want to make sure they're eligible to run for leadership positions in the chapter which additionally require a minimum GPA requirement."

"The strive for leadership and excellence is a great watermark to the Miami community as a whole," said sophomore unaffiliated student Jason Berling.

"I think it says a lot about the quality of Miami students that join fraternities and sororities in that the average GPA of Greeks is above the average of the campus itself, and its been that way for years," Irlbacher said.

In fall 2008, the average GPA of fraternity and sorority members was 3.18, compared to the 3.05 of students unaffiliated with Greek life, according to Irlbacher, who added Miami should be considered as in the top tier of Greek life, considering it has a deep-rooted history in more than a few chapters.

"I work professionally with fraternities and sororities," Irlbacher said. "Miami is the big leagues when it comes to working with Greek life, with five organizations founded here."