Hockey fans must focus on future

Michael Cohen

Amazing. Historic. Domination. All words that can describe the weekend in which Miami University dismantled the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. It was an all-around effort. Cody Reichard was phenomenal. Jarod Palmer, his sensational senior self. Reilly Smith tallied a pair of goals in the second game. Not only did Curtis McKenzie score, he was enforcing once again, and as Patrick Murray said on the broadcast on WMSR, got a penalty for being Curtis McKenzie. And, Brandon Smith scored the insurance goal that was assisted by Dane Hetland, who did not see action last season.

Realistically, fans were hoping for a split. In fact, the only person I talked to all week who was more confident was The Miami Student's very own Dan Kukla, who went on the record during the Miami Student Sports Report saying Miami would get the sweep over the Wolverines. If there were any questions whether or not Miami had rebounded from 2008-09's national championship defeat they have been answered with this 8-1-1 start.

This brings me to the point of this column. Can we all please stop talking about last year? Watching the game at Bdubs, which felt like a sold out Goggin with all the chants and cheers, the announcers continued to show replays and talk about the loss to Boston. Looking at articles about Miami hockey in the past couple weeks, commentators have been saying the same thing. Now you may call me hypocritical by bringing up last year in this column, but my point is that we need to end those thoughts here. Let's talk about this year and the promise this team has.

The RedHawks are 8-1-1. This start is almost as impressive as two years ago. That team finished 33-8-1. This team, if they play every game the way the played Michigan, will certainly challenge that record. Miami, which struggled in close games last season, have been winning them all this season with the exception of the tie at New Hampshire and the loss in overtime against Michigan State.

And if you look at those two games, the RedHawks came back from behind, another area they have struggled in the past. Down 5-3, Miami was able to secure a tie with the Wildcats as Cody Reichard shutdown the UNH attack, as Andy Miele and Pat Cannone brought the 'Hawks back from the brink of losing. The loss to Michigan State? Miami was being outplayed and shutdown by the MSU netminder, and still Tommy Wingels was able to get the game into overtime where the 'Hawks, when not even playing their best hockey were still able to match the No. 2 team, as of now, in the CCHA.

I think something has been established after this weekend. If Miami plays every game the way they played Michigan, they will be unbeatable. They are far and away the best team in the nation. And that is where the focus should be. Let's forget everything about the past and pay attention the tremendous future this team may have. Miami is in first place in the CCHA and have already played an extremely tough conference stretch. Furthermore, the

RedHawks, with a tough out of conference schedule, have proven they can defeat any level of competition, be it Hockey East, or the WCHA.

This bodes well for a Miami team that, if they can continue to play this well, would earn a No. 1 seed in the tournament, and have an excellent shot at a Frozen Four in Detroit, where, unless Michigan or Michigan State was in the Frozen Four, would be a tremendous home ice advantage for the 'Hawks. Besides, with a relatively easier CCHA schedule than in past seasons, Miami may be CCHA champions or have the No. 1 seed.

I understand I'm getting way ahead of myself, but the possibilities for this season are endless. That is why I am choosing to concentrate on everything that can be, not anything that was. I hope you, and the rest of college hockey nation, will do the same.