Hockey Alumni update: Redhawks in the pros

Justin Maskulinski, Columnist

The Miami University ice hockey (19-8-5) currently sits atop the Central Collegiate Hockey Association while some former members of the Brotherhood are representing Miami in the National Hockey League.

Leading all former Miami players in games played this season is New Jersey Devils defenseman Andy Greene. The Devils currently sit at fourth place in the Eastern Conference of the NHL at 9-3-4. Greene has two goals and six assists along with a plus/minus rating of plus-seven so far this season. Greene also recorded all eight points during a six game point streak.

Greene seems to be taking advantage of the abbreviated NHL season.

The most recent RedHawk Stanley Cup Champion, Los Angeles Kings defenseman Alec Martinez, scored his first goal of the season Feb. 10 at the Detroit Red Wings. Martinez is currently averaging nearly 19 minutes of ice time per game.

I can remember hearing the names of Greene and Martinez being called a lot during last year's Stanley Cup Final.

San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle, another Miami Stanley Cup winner (Tampa Bay, 2004), has two goals and eight points in 12 games played. Boyle has 127 career goals and 513 career points.

Reilly Smith was called up to the NHL by the Dallas Stars after an impressive start in the American Hockey League (AHL). Smith had recorded 27 points (11 goals, 16 assists) through 38 games with the affiliate Texas Stars before being called up to the NHL. Smith scored his first career NHL goal in a game at the Vancouver Canucks on February 15, and added another in his next game.

Miami's only Hobey Baker Award winner, Andy Miele, was a plus one in one game for the Phoenix Coyotes. Miele has 11 goals and 18 assists in 45 games playing center for the AHL's Portland Pirates. Last season Miele recorded 54 points for the Pirates.

Chris Wideman is playing defense for the Ottawa Senators affiliate Binghamton Senators. Wideman has five assists and 26 penalty minutes this season.

Carter Camper is currently playing center for the AHL's Providence Bruins. Camper was named to the AHL Eastern Conference All Star Team last season as he led the Bruins in points with 48 (18 goals, 30 assists). Camper currently has six goals and 29 assists through 41 games.

Will Weber is playing defense for the AHL's Springfield Falcons and is averaging nearly two minutes in the sin-bin per game. Weber has racked up 54 penalty minutes in 30 games.

Numerous RedHawks are making an impact at the professional level of hockey and the trend will likely continue as five current members of the Brotherhood have already been drafted by NHL teams.

Senior forward Curtis McKenzie has been drafted by the Dallas Stars. McKenzie currently has eight goals and 20 points this season.

Washington Capitals draftee and freshman forward Riley Barber is tied for CCHA scoring leader with 31 points (12 goals, 19 assists).

Freshman forward Sean Kuraly has been drafted by the San Jose Sharks. Kuraly has nine points this season. Sophomore forwards Blake Coleman and Jimmy Mullin have been drafted by the New Jersey Devils and Tampa Bay Lightning, respectively.

The Brotherhood is making its mark on professional hockey and gaining prominence in college hockey as it continues to send more prospects to the NHL.