High-risk drinking in Greek life again draws university attention, concern

Half of Miami fraternities under investigation

By Reis Thebault, Editor-in-Chief

For the second time during this semester's "rush" and "pledging" periods, the university has been forced to publicly comment on high-risk drinking in the Greek community, something that perennially plagues many of Miami's fraternities and sororities.

The university announced that it is investigating at least 12 fraternities in response to 21 allegations of hazing and providing alcohol to minors.

According to records obtained by The Miami Student, at least eight fraternities and sororities are facing or have faced allegations of drinking violations since the beginning of the semester.

Those organizations are: fraternities Alpha Epsilon Pi, Phi Gamma Delta, Pi Kappa Alpha, Phi Delta Theta, Delta Sigma Phi and Sigma Phi Epsilon; and sororities Alpha Phi and Alpha Chi Omega.

While two sororities have also faced allegations, the bulk of the university community's attention has been trained on fraternities.

In an email to Interfraternity Council (IFC) chapter advisers, presidents and national headquarters, Jenny Levering wrote of a Greek system in need of reform. Levering is the director of the Cliff Alexander Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

"Your members and our students have indicated they need help in addressing this situation," she wrote. "The health and safety of our members is at risk."

The presidents of IFC's 24 currently recognized organizations met Tuesday night and announced that the pledging process for every organization must be completed by today, in an effort to curb the drinking and hazing associated with the period.

Despite these efforts, Jayne Brownell, vice president for student affairs, said there is no silver bullet when dealing with Greek life.

"There is no guarantee that some of this behavior won't continue," she said. "Our hope is that this will be enough of a wake-up call to the entire fraternity system."

Indeed, several of the organizations currently under investigation have a history of disciplinary violations at Miami.

In an interview, dean of students Mike Curme said the university plans on redoubling its efforts to combat this behavior.

"We will not tolerate this type of behavior," he said, emphasizing each word. "We have every report being investigated or in the process and we will hold individuals and organizations responsible for their behavior."

Of the eight fraternities and sororities facing alcohol-related investigations, four - Alpha Epsilon Pi, Pi Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Phi and Alpha Chi Omega - have admitted responsibility for the incidents, and Sigma Alpha Epsilon was found not responsible.

Investigations against Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI), Phi Delta Theta and Alpha Phi are still underway.

On Feb. 5, records show that a Miami University Police Department (MUPD) officer responded to a report of an intoxicated male passed out in a residence hall. When the officer arrived, the student allegedly admitted that he had been consuming alcohol at FIJI's fraternity house.

The fraternity had the option to dispute the allegations by Feb. 22, but it is unclear whether it has chosen to do so.

According to university records, Phi Delta Theta, which was also accused and later cleared of hazing, still faces an alcohol violation, stemming from a Feb. 6 interaction between MUPD officers and an alleged new pledge.

Records show that officers watched the male stagger down a street and, after approaching him, determined that he was intoxicated and could not keep his balance. Then, according to records, he admitted he "had been consuming alcohol at a fraternity house for a bid." Officials determined he had accepted a bid from Phi Delta Theta.

It is also not clear whether the fraternity is challenging this allegation.

According to records, on Feb. 8, several Alpha Phi sorority members were seen "tearing down and vandalizing" a bulletin board that was put up by Sigma Lambda Gamma, a multicultural sorority. The university categorized this offense as damage to university or others' property.

Then, the next night, Feb. 9, records show that members of Alpha Phi were in possession of alcohol under the age of 21.

All these incidents, and the others for which documents were provided, constitute the type of behavior that Curme said the university would not tolerate. Earlier this month, he sent out an email to the parents and family members of Miami students, warning them of the dangers of pledging.

"If your loved one is in a fraternity or sorority, please talk to them - today - about what activities are going on with the new members," he wrote. "If your son or daughter is a new member, ask them about their experience."

In an interview yesterday, he explained what prompted him to send the message.

"I believe that Miami students deserve and expect better," he said.

Additional reporting by James Steinbauer.