Heritage Commons sees slew of car vandalism

Ben Garbarek

The Miami University Police Department (MUPD) is still investigating two incidents of vandalism at Heritage Commons this semester.

Sept. 8, three cars were keyed in the east parking lot according to Heritage Commons Apartment Director Jack Trump.

Two separate police reports were filed with the MUPD regarding the keyed cars, but as of right now there are no leads in the investigations.

A month later the tires were slashed on 11 vehicles parked in the west parking lot of Heritage Commons. So far there are no indications that the two incidents are related.

"We have not had an incident like (this before)," MUPD Chief of Police John McCandless said.

Trump said he has already taken action to increase safety in these parking lots.

"We've asked the MUPD for increased monitoring," Trump said. "We want residents to be watchful of suspicious activity."

McCandless said steps are being taken to catch the perpetrators and prevent further vandalism.

"We're giving the area special attention (with increased patrols), especially the late night shifts," he said. "We would certainly like to catch someone; this is something bad happening to students."

So far there are no suspects or witnesses in these incidents, according to McCandless and MUPD Lt. Andrew Powers.

McCandless said that typically prankish vandalism like this is usually done by younger people but said anyone could have been involved in these incidents.

Trump agrees.

"This could be someone in the community, other Miami students or even other Heritage Commons residents," Trump said. "We have no idea who did it."

Trump said vandalism has occurred at the on-campus apartments in the past but is unsure if there is any link between these two episodes or any previous vandalism.

Senior Sean Weaston's car was keyed from the driver's side headlight to the taillight and feels Heritage Commons could do more to make the parking lot safer.

"Paying $4,250 a semester (to live in Heritage Commons), it's pretty ridiculous that there are no cameras (monitoring the parking lot)," he said.

Last year Heritage Commons had a string of vandalism involving the gate arms used to regulate the parking lots. McCandless said the MUPD increased patrols around Heritage Commons after the incidents and were able to catch the vandals.

McCandless asks the public to call the MUPD at (513) 529-2222 or send an e-mail on their Web site, www.units.muohio.edu/psf/police/, if they see any suspicious activity or have any information about these incidents.