Helping out, growing up

Erin Bowen

Nestled in the heart of Miami University's campus is a playground with a yellow slide and red swings. As students pass to and from class, shrieks and shouts of joy, sadness, frustration and glee can be heard.

For many Miami students, Mini University, a childcare development center, blends into the blustery walk down Western Drive. Yet for the student volunteers who trade Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and Newton's laws for Carle's A Very Hungry Caterpillar and nap time, Mini U is more than just snack time and show-and-tell.

Learning through play

From 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Mini U is home to approximately 108 children between the ages of six weeks to five years old, according to Chandra Ackley, Mini U education coordinator for Miami's campus.

When Mini U is at full capacity, Ackley said the center's facilities can host at most 125 children.

These children just aren't any children, however. Eighty-five percent of them are related to Miami faculty, staff or students, the majority of which are children of faculty and staff.

Built in 2002, Ackley said Mini U has eight state-of-the-art classrooms, each with a certified teacher and assistant.

Additionally, Ackley said the facility is equipped with an in-house kitchen to provide the children with breakfast, lunch and a late afternoon snack.

The Miami campus site of Mini U is one of four Mini University, Inc. childcare centers. Other locations include Dayton's Miami Valley Hospital, Wright State University and a location in Montgomery County.

According to Ackley, Mini U is independently owned although Miami University owns the facilities.

While Ackley described the Mini U facilities as beautiful, she said a school is nothing without an effective curriculum.

"We use a creative curriculum that is appropriate for each age group of children, from infants to toddlers and the preschool program," Ackley said.

More than just an educational facility, the classrooms are also designed for fun. A tour through Mini U reveals lofts in each classroom for climbing, hiding and exploring. Shelves of toys and large showers for post-finger painting exploits are accompanied by board games, picture books and plenty of room for story time.

To Ackley, fostering play at Mini U is essential.

"At this age, play is the most important part of a child's education," Ackley said. "Kids learn everything through play experiences."

As the educational coordinator, Ackley said she supervises the curriculum of each classroom and also works with outside groups who observe the children in any of the eight rooms for research purposes.

According to Ackley, an estimated 200-300 student observers come to Mini U each academic year.

"We host faculty members and students who study interaction and other aspects of learning," Ackley said.

Helping hands

For Ackley and her staff, running Mini U is no easy task. Ackley said the success-and sanity-of Mini U is greatly aided by Miami student volunteers.

"It's great to have the volunteers," Ackley said. "They fill the spaces when we need an extra hand and are willing to read a book or help out on the playground. The volunteers also always bring new experiences and faces for the children."

Ackley said Mini U currently has about 15 regular volunteers who devote several hours a week to spend with the children.

Christa Fetzer, a junior early education major, Katie Parris, a sophomore marketing major, and Callie McGeough, a sophomore early education major, are three such volunteers who put aside books and homework for afternoons at Mini U.

The girls spend at least an hour and a half a week visiting classrooms and assisting teachers.

While volunteering for Fetzer and McGeough is practice for their future careers as teachers, Parris' choice to volunteer at Mini U was for different reasons.

According to Parris, Mini U is a much-needed break from the stresses of college life.

"I volunteer at Mini U for multiple reasons," Parris said. "I love children and being on a college campus, I don't get to interact with them as often as I would like. Mini U also provides an escape from the stress of every week. Getting to play with the children and to read to them is a nice break from studying and schoolwork."

Finding the time

Although it may be difficult to find the time, all of the girls agreed their time spent at Mini U is worth the sacrifice.

McGeough said she occasionally struggles to balance her volunteering yet works hard to ensure Mini U is a priority.

"It's a little difficult to devote an hour and a half a week, but I still really enjoy going to Mini U," McGeough said.

Fetzer, too, said her time at Mini U is more than rewarding.

"My best memory is sitting under the slide with about six or seven children and leading a sing-a-long," Fetzer said. "We sang every song we could think of, and then one little girl made up her own song for us."

To Parris, recognition from the children is her favorite aspect.

"At first the kids are very shy, but as soon as they get used to you and start remembering who you are, they get excited and want you to pick them up and play with them," Parris said. "If I pick one child up, another will come running up and asked to be picked up too."

Paris said one child in particular always recognizes her.

"(He) remembers me every time," Parris said. "When I pick him up, he won't let me put him down. He's like a little koala bear."

For the Miami student volunteers at Mini U, volunteering is a rewarding experience for both the children and themselves.

Fetzer said she feels rewarded by the children's reactions each time she visits.

"I think it is rewarding to see the children smile every time we show up," Fetzer said. "I think it is just as rewarding for us as it is for them. The children love getting some extra attention and one-on-one time. They have someone new to play with at recess and they are always so happy. The happiness is contagious, really."